Too much carb on vegetarian diet

Options
Hi. I have started my diet tracking. I don’t want to loose weight (5’6 for 132 lbs) but want to balance better my meal. I am a vegetarian with low cheese and eggs intake. On my diary I am always too high on carb (more than 50% required) and too low on protein but good on my calories intake. Does this also happen to you on a vegetarian diet ? What are the consequences of this type of diet ?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Before I answer, how many grams of protein are you getting a day? How much exercise do you do (this will affect your protein needs).

Many vegetarian sources of protein are high in carbs as well, but as long as you're getting sufficient protein and healthy fats, the amount of carbs you eat doesn't matter and comes down to personal preference.
  • npatel160
    npatel160 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I am starting to eat more vegetables, beans and protein shake to make sure im getting enough protein.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You could try adding things like
    Greek Yoghurt
    Chia seeds
    Lentils
    Eggs
    Quinoa
    Cottage cheese
    Edamame
    Beans and chickpeas
    Hempseeds
    Nutritional yeast
    Peanuts and almonds

.....and other things I have forgotten

Typically though a vegetarian diet is always going to be higher in carbs.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Unless you’re trying to hulk out (you’re not) you’re most likely fine. It’s not like you’re sitting down eating a loaf of bread and a package of cookies (I assume). If you’re eating mostly plants, you’re doing way better than most. You can up your protein with some tofu and tempeh, and seitan. Maybe some protein supplements in the form of protein shakes or bars, but if you’re eating lots of plants, aren’t in some major athletic endeavor, and feel good, then I wouldn’t worry.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    vivekggopi wrote: »
    Lower your dairy intake use only low fat milk and low fat Greek yogurt with raw vegetables and cooked quinoa or oats for carbs.

You understand that low fat milk would have a higher carb percentage (and more carbs for the same calories) as full fat, right? Also, cooking veg (which often involves adding fat, but need not) has nothing to do with carb content, and is not unhealthy, so why recommend only raw veg? Also, why only dairy, raw veg, and cooked quinoa or oats as carb sources for a vegetarian (or anyone)? That would not be a good idea.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have started my diet tracking. I don’t want to loose weight (5’6 for 132 lbs) but want to balance better my meal. I am a vegetarian with low cheese and eggs intake. On my diary I am always too high on carb (more than 50% required) and too low on protein but good on my calories intake. Does this also happen to you on a vegetarian diet ? What are the consequences of this type of diet ?

50% is just the default carb macro and can be changed. When I lived in vegetarian yoga centers I knew lots of vegans who were healthy and fit and likely ate upwards of 60% carbs. They ate lots of legumes, seitan, and tempeh for protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options

At about your size (5'5", 135 this morning), I target (and routinely get) 100g+ protein (I'm active, and old), 50g+ fats (preferring MUFA/PUFA types when possible), and let carbs fall wherever they fall to hit calorie goals (I'm maintaining). I don't eat many eggs, I do eat some cheese, and definitely eat other dairy. It varies, but I probably get around 50% of my protein from dairy. I think I could hit my targets fully plant based, but I (and my Northern European genes) like dairy a lot. ;)

Being high on carbs isn't a problem as long as you're not diabetic, insulin resistant, or working with some other medical issue that requires you to limit them. Being low on protein could be a problem, depending on how low you are. It won't affect weight management, but extremely low could be less than ideal nutrition.

How many grams are you getting daily, on average? And how many grams of fats?