How important are macros?

Ok guys im currently on the nowloss diet. Cheesy i know. Im eating whatever i want and just sticking to around 1200 to 1400 calories a day. I still eat healthy food but here and there ill eat something naughty. Anyway at the moment im not obsessing too much about my macros. Ive only started my weight loss journey yesterday. How important is macros exactly?

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member
    For strictly losing weight macros don't matter. However, if you really need to eat that few calories, you need to find what will satiate you. I am more satisfied with more protein, less carbs and fat. Some people get more satiety from carbs and less protein.
  • Chunky_Lara
    Chunky_Lara Posts: 2 Member
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    For strictly losing weight macros don't matter. However, if you really need to eat that few calories, you need to find what will satiate you. I am more satisfied with more protein, less carbs and fat. Some people get more satiety from carbs and less protein.
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Ill keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    change calories eaten to change your weight
    change food eaten to change your health
    change physical activity to change your strength and endurance
    welcome aboard
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Eating less than you burn and you will lose weight.

Macros come in to play when trying to improve your satiety with food. certain macro percentages will make you feel more full or hungrier.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2019
    @Chunky_Lara that seems to vary from person to person so try some ones that sounds interesting to you and see if there is one that works better for you.

In my case for the new year I decided to increase my number of carbs since I have kept them just under 50 grams daily for over 4 years now. I feel fine and the extra carbs are just from Red Quinoa and some oranges left over from the holidays. Even eating low sodium my pitting edema from the past is already back and the weight has creeped up a few pounds in the last 30 days. Well so has the old headaches and increased blood pressure.

I do not know why carbs seem toxic in this way in my case. I do know congestive heart failure is associated with pitting edema often and that was what my father died from at the age of 72 and I will be 68 next month. Maybe it is just an old family tradition.

While I would like to eat low carb at 150 grams daily in my case now I know that would decrease my odds of living to be 110 walking and talking the entire way so it is back to just under 50 grams daily.

Macros are life or death it seems in my case but I was 63 before I got serious about eating for the best possible health and health markers. I do not have set calories or weight goals but I do have to watch my macros. I only eat foods that I really enjoy and as much as I want so it is back to my macros of the last 4 years that are tried and true and and no changes in my WOE is what the doctor said at my last annual exam.

Best of success in finding a WOE (way of eating) that works best for you. I have found mine over the past 4 years it seems and reaffirmed it over the holidays.

Since you are new to the MFP why don't you consider changing your username to one that will still work for you going forward long term because I think you are going to find some WOE that works for you beyond your wildest expectations in the near future.

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    For weight loss to happen you need to be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. Macros is more for personal preference and those who have specific fitness goals etc.