How do you stop stress eating??

Options
How do you not stress eat? What do you channel that bad habit into instead? When I’m quite stressed I eat a lot and binge. When my lab work load is manageable I do not do this. How did you change your habit and what do you do instead now? I was good last year and lost 4.5 kg/10lbs but in the last two weeks not so much. How do you handle being overwhelmed and continue on your goals? Change your mindset?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Exercise instead.

I'd rather go out for a fast (relatively) 3 km run than eat when I'm stressed. I feel like I've accomplished something, even just something small, when I run or cycle or row or lift weights or go for a long walk ...
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    For me, just realizing that I want to eat for not good reason keeps me mindful to just wait it out and not give into that nonsense, It is more a problem before a person makes the connection that it isn't he food you really need or want....it is the stress that's making you look for a distraction.
  • lemonita12
    lemonita12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the answer to this as well. It just seems so easy to munch when you have too many things to do and no time to breathe. It feels like I'm punishing myself in a weird way, although I know it is not my fault that I get stressed. Change of mindset seems the way forward but how?
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If it's too hard to change the habit, change the food. Instead of candy bars, donuts, or whatever else is kept around the workplace, I line up apples, plain non-fat Greek yogurt, water, and protein shakes. At least, I won't feel guilty about junk food... o:)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    One thing I noticed was drinking enough water. I don’t think much of the idea that water seems to be the answer to every diet problem, but it was a big deal when it came to stress. I used to go in the mini mart across the street buy two big bottles and knock them both off before lunch.

Agree, exercise. Exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy, but it’s a great stress fighter. Good for the brain.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    stop getting stressed by regular life. it isn't good for you. save stress for emergencies
  • ShopGirl9999
    ShopGirl9999 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Eat, but low calorie stuff. Agree with yogurt, fruit etc. When I crave salt, I want chips but reach for pickles. Sweets are tough to replace but dark chocolate helps.

It is totally common to feel stressed and want to eat. It is a hormonal reaction. We all have those moments or days...

Working out is wonderful for mental and emotional well being. However for weight loss, you can never out run a bad diet. Weight loss for me is food and portion control vs working out hard.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Recognizing the urge to eat when you're stressed and maybe stopping to recognize it and analyze it a bit better.

For example, sometimes when the stress of my caregiver role is getting to me, I'll crave fast food on the drive home. If my calories are actually pretty low that day I will allow myself to stop & get the 210 calorie small item with decent protein. If I am at or over my calorie goal, I keep driving and remember that I am just looking for the "good feeling" of eating Taco Bell which isn't worth it to me.

Another thing I've done is planning out my stress eating. This is probably a weird unhealthy thing to do by some peoples' standards but it works well for me and my long term goal of keeping off the 130+ pounds I have lost. We had to get my mom into a long term retirement home this week due to her medical condition. That was a big source of stress for me and my husband. We both knew it would make us feel stressed out and want to eat "badly" over this weekend...so we got up this morning and had a small breakfast of homemade French toast and then we went out for Japanese bento boxes for lunch, followed by a very long walk. It was a "treat" but it also cheered us up way more than if we had gone out for a dinner of heavy pasta dishes and appetizers and wine and then just relaxed at home.

Another example is when I have a PMS sugar craving I'll get up early and walk 1/2 mile to the donut shop and grab a donut each for us and then come home and have it with black coffee. This is much more satisfying to me than hitting the Starbucks drive thru for a mocha - and at about the same calories & sugar.
  • PennyPeabody
    PennyPeabody Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! :) I don't have an easy answer for you, but just wanted to drop in and say that you're not alone - I struggle with this *so* often.

The top two things that are helping me right now:

(1) When I get the urge to eat something extra, I look at Pinterest instead. Since I only use it as intentional distraction, it's a kind of treat and doesn't contain anything stressful or that reminds me of work.

(2) I try to notice the feeling and have a silly-but-real talk with myself: "You're feeling stressed right now and want to eat. I totally get it! But work has already taken so much time and energy and emotion - don't let it control your home life and eating too!"
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    In my case, when I desire to stress eat I pour myself a big bottle of water and make myself drink it completely. Then I ponder if I still want a snack.

If I do, I try to choose something that'll fit into my calorie limit. Most times, I don't, because my body is satisfied by the water. :)
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am always stressed. UGH! Anyhow, when it gets extreme, I go to jigsaw puzzles, online games and clean if I have exercised for the day.
    It usually works but I will admit that sometimes the food does win.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I keep my hands busy and drink some lemon water. So cleaning, cooking, crafts, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not a stress eater...I'm the opposite, I end up not eating. I would suggest exercise though...exercise always helps me de-stress.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    How do you not stress eat? What do you channel that bad habit into instead? When I’m quite stressed I eat a lot and binge. When my lab work load is manageable I do not do this. How did you change your habit and what do you do instead now? I was good last year and lost 4.5 kg/10lbs but in the last two weeks not so much. How do you handle being overwhelmed and continue on your goals? Change your mindset?

I crochet. It is something I can do with my hands without committing too much brain power so I can combine it with other things like watching TV or talking with people and the act of creating something relieves the stress. It has the added bonus of not wanting to get food residue on my project so I avoid eating to keep my hands clean
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »

Put a picture in favourites of your phone of your belly. Look at it and just say, ok anything but growing that. Sport, stress ball, curse, whatever.
  • Dawnvtk
    Dawnvtk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I exchanged one habit for another. Instead of stress eating, I now hop on the treadmill. At least, most of the time. Sometimes I stuff my face, but I do it a lot less than I used to. For me, it's been all about refocusing my habits that don't revolve around food.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    stop getting stressed by regular life. it isn't good for you. save stress for emergencies

I like the idea, but I don’t think I can just decide to be less stressed. I need strategies. Got any?