Broken leg

Options
It figures that the moment I start doing good and getting to the gym 3 times a week
That I would go and slip on the bottom step and break my leg. Any suggestion on how to keep weight loss going, or will a calorie deficit stop the healing process? Felling bummed out ☹️

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Don’t let the injury to your leg take over your head. Do the best you can until you get past the injury. Look on YouTube for some kind of upper body exercise you can do.

If you’re anything like me, disrupted exercise easily gets replaced with sitting on the couch and pouting. Find something to do to keep your routines in place.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Do some arm exercises. Sit on a kitchen chair & repeatedly lift a bottle of laundry detergent. Do some seated yoga / stretching.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It figures that the moment I start doing good and getting to the gym 3 times a week
    That I would go and slip on the bottom step and break my leg. Any suggestion on how to keep weight loss going, or will a calorie deficit stop the healing process? Felling bummed out ☹️

Eat at maintenance while you're healing, get back to your deficit after that.
  • writeisland
    writeisland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I bought some Golds Gym stretch bands (the tube kind, with handles on the ends $5-$15) from wallyworld and you can get a pretty good workout in stationary positions.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Does your gym have a pool? Besides the upper body workouts that others have suggested, you can do non-weight bearing exercises in the deep end (wearing a flotation belt). Obviously if you have a cast you need to wait until you can either immerse it or you get it off. Check with your ortho or physical therapist.

Also, I would eat at or just below maintenance for now. An aggressive deficit may not give enough nutrition for speedy healing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don’t use your injury as an excuse to overeat. Try to eat at maintenance for your reduced activity level. Your body needs nutrition to heal.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You don’t need exercise to lose weight, just a calorie deficit. A lot of people lose weight without exercising.
    As others stated you can do a lot of different things even with a broken leg to get exercise in. You have options, don’t let a broken leg be an excuse. You can do as much, or as little as you want. Want some inspiration, watch videos of wheel chair athletes.