Recomp?

stellaella22
stellaella22 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m 5’1 with a starting weight of 137 and current weight at 105. I did this through a caloric deficit and minimal exercise like HIIT workouts 2-3 times a week. Due to a medical issue, I’ve had to stop working out for over a month now. Soon I will be cleared to start exercising again but I wonder what I should do in terms of shaping my body. I’ve lost fat from almost all areas of my body but I have about 5-8lbs of fat left on my stomach. Do you think lifting weights might help trim those lost few inches from my stomach area? Also, prior to lifting weights should I just work on strength training in general to prepare for lifting weights. I’m afraid I’ve lost my form and strength from the long gap of not exercising. Also do you recommend that I stay at a deficit or a maintenance now that I’m at a low weight?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Would the person who clicked woo on my post care to engage if they disagree?
    I'm not at all scary and happy to discuss......
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I agree that you don’t need to lose weight at 105lbs at 5”1. I’m 5”2 & weigh much more.
    Having more muscle will change your body composition. It wasn’t until I started weight training vs just cardio that my body composition improved.
  • stellaella22
    So do you recommend eating at maintenance and weight training? Or is it still necessary to eat at a slight deficit for fat loss?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I’m the same height and weight. :)

Maintain your weight and do a recomp.

Get clearance from your medical team.

If you haven’t already, read the recomp thread in the ‘must reads’ at the top of the ‘maintaining’ sub-forum, there is some great advice in it.

If you feel you have lost strength, do as @sijomial advised and start with a weight that is heavy for you now, and build from there. For me that was bodyweight and dumbbells before moving on to the barbell.

Recomp is slow, but results will come.

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    So do you recommend eating at maintenance and weight training? Or is it still necessary to eat at a slight deficit for fat loss?

As you gain muscle while maintaining your weight your fat percentage reduces.
    That's exactly what recomposition is - gaining muscle while simultaneously losing fat.

As a small female your rate of muscle gain will indeed be slow.
    Returning to training after a break or being new to weight training may give you a boost in speed of muscle gain early on.
  • stellaella22
    Thank you for the advice!