Digestive issues, getting bloated and grains

Options
Some grains such as corn and wheat make me bloated, should I just eliminate them?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    bcimb00 wrote: »
    Some grains such as corn and wheat make me bloated, should I just eliminate them?

you can try cutting them out for a couple of month or so and then introduce one at a time back into your diet slowly to see if those things are actually causing your issues. so do one first,wait and then add the other. read all labels to see if anything has wheat and corn in them as well so you will be avoiding them completely. then if you have issues from eating them eliminate them altogether. if you are still having issues while not eating those things then figure out what is causing the issue. are you having any pain,nausea,diarrhea,constipation or things like that with them?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You might want to get tested for celiac disease before eliminating wheat. Bloating is a very common symptom. If you are gluten free, the tests cannot be done with any accuracy.

Good luck
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You might want to get tested for celiac disease before eliminating wheat. Bloating is a very common symptom. If you are gluten free, the tests cannot be done with any accuracy.

Good luck

yet people can still have celiacs and the tests can come back negative or inconclusive as well.my aunt was one of those people . of course before she could go and have extensive testing she passed away(other health issues). she had ALL the classic symptoms for celiac. I have issues with wheat from time to time some days are worse than others.yet my tests came back with antibodies not being high enough for their liking to say I have it. yet they were on the high side.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Good luck

yet people can still have celiacs and the tests can come back negative or inconclusive as well.my aunt was one of those people . of course before she could go and have extensive testing she passed away(other health issues). she had ALL the classic symptoms for celiac. I have issues with wheat from time to time some days are worse than others.yet my tests came back with antibodies not being high enough for their liking to say I have it. yet they were on the high side.

Quite true. I think for adults, the rate of false negative is around 25% (last I heard). For children and those who have been GF for a while, it is higher.

Because I am a celiac, I had all of my kids tested years ago, and it was all negative, and one was a bit on the high side, but two of them had quite obvious symptoms that did resolve after going GF for a few days to months. They technically have no diagnosis, but we are successfully treating their health anyways.

If you suspect celiac disease at all, I recommend testing before going GF. GF is difficult and many will just go "gluten light" unless they know that a crumb will harm them. Not many will avoid contaminated toasters or butter when travelling, or skip an entire meal because 1/2 tsp of soy sauce was used in a marinade, or skip dessert because the box says it MAY contain wheat. KWIM? The difference between a gluten sensitivity and celiac can be large, although I know some with NCGS who reacted horribly to gluten.

Actually, I don't even have a true diagnosis either. I had the blood tests which were all very high, but I refused the endoscopic biopsy because the wait time was over a year. LOL

Anyways, if you do go GF, I recommend longer than a few weeks; 4-6 months should tell you more. When I went GF, some symptoms improved within a few days but others were still improving over 9 months later.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Good luck

Quite true. I think for adults, the rate of false negative is around 25% (last I heard). For children and those who have been GF for a while, it is higher.

Because I am a celiac, I had all of my kids tested years ago, and it was all negative, and one was a bit on the high side, but two of them had quite obvious symptoms that did resolve after going GF for a few days to months. They technically have no diagnosis, but we are successfully treating their health anyways.

If you suspect celiac disease at all, I recommend testing before going GF. GF is difficult and many will just go "gluten light" unless they know that a crumb will harm them. Not many will avoid contaminated toasters or butter when travelling, or skip an entire meal because 1/2 tsp of soy sauce was used in a marinade, or skip dessert because the box says it MAY contain wheat. KWIM? The difference between a gluten sensitivity and celiac can be large, although I know some with NCGS who reacted horribly to gluten.

Actually, I don't even have a true diagnosis either. I had the blood tests which were all very high, but I refused the endoscopic biopsy because the wait time was over a year. LOL

Anyways, if you do go GF, I recommend longer than a few weeks; 4-6 months should tell you more. When I went GF, some symptoms improved within a few days but others were still improving over 9 months later.

yeah I wasnt gluten free when I had the test. I cut it out as much as I can but for me its hard to be gluten free.I rarely have bread and I cant have multigrain/wheat breads as those are the biggest culprits yet white bread in small doses is fine. Ive cut down for the most part and have things with wheat once in awhile and in small doses in most cases but the weird thing is white foods are fine and whole grains,whole wheat,etc are the worst.
  • __Chanda__
    __Chanda__ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I eliminated them and the bloating went away. One day I had a cheat meal with corn chips, and within no time my stomach felt horrible. Everyone's body is different. I'd test the theory by eliminating them for a month and see how you feel.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on the FODMAP diet for 7 weeks now under the supervision of a nutritionist and I feel a lot better.