Need advice from successful maintainers :) please

Options
2»

Replies

• kellycz
    kellycz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Denial isn't constructive, since you've learned your body counts the calories whether you do or not.
    So true!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    And weighing daily and watching the trendline (look at the trend in moving average and not that single number) - will alert you if weight starts creeping up. Then you know you need to tighten up your eating.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    In maintenance almost 6 years.

I enjoy being slim and active so do what it takes to stay that way and that involves:-

Weighing daily/use trending app and have a weight range +/-5lbs
    Mentally keeping a note of my daily calories - always am mindful of how much I'm eating (only log my meals on this app now again).
    Exercise at least 5 days a week for up to 45 mins and am generally active when not at my desk.
    I won't eat something for the sake of it, it has to be amazing or else its not worth the calories - but that mostly applies to cakes/desserts!
    The majority of my food is home made, prefer it that way and it feels an easy way to keep the calories in check.
    If we have takeout I share with OH to halve the calories.

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Well, today I hit initial goal weight "officially" after hitting it once or twice "unofficially". For me, it's official if I weigh in at that amount at my official weigh-in - first thing in the morning.

So, my rookie advice in response to your question is to continue doing what you did to achieve your goal as if nothing's different other than tweaking calories to be eaten for maintenance rather than loss. That's my plan, not dropping my guard.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be 2 years in maintenance next month, and for me I just have to log. I don't find it obsessive, it gives me the control I need to be able to make the best choices for myself over the long term. Something clicks in my brain when I veer off logging my food, like nobody's looking, now's your chance to eat the whole cake, kinda thing. Some day if I get that under control maybe I'll be able to stop tracking, but I've no intention of playing roulette with my weight now I am happy with it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I agree with the statement that weight loss happens in the kitchen but nearly 7 or 8 in 10 that go from obese to normal gain the weight back. The Natl Weight Loss Registry has tracked people that have once been obese and kept the weight off for over a year. One thing it found out is that most workout an hour a day.

They also weigh themselves nearly daily, many still track calories.

The biggest takeaway is they have changed their lifestyle and don't see weightloss as a diet. Others have mentioned changing habits. You have to change your habits that allow you to keep the weight off.

You don't just go from maintenance to 30 lbs over maintenance. It's a series of decisions (or lack of) that slowly gets you back into all of your older habits that made you heavy in the first place.

I'm 8 years into maintenance now and lost over 70 lbs and have kept it off. I likely eat as many calories as I did before losing the weight. For me, the difference has been I skip breakfast daily. Then I burn 600 to 1000 calories at lunch (this didn't happen overnight, I train really hard) and then eat a sensible lunch and dinner and still have calories to snack a bit at night. I eat around 2400 calories a day, sometimes more.

I choose a more active lifestyle and pick my battles of what is worth it to eat and what is not. I'm also following a diet of no gluten (I learned I'm highly sensitive to wheat) and no dairy because my wife is allergic. Admittedly, this eliminates 99% of the overly processed junk food.