Can’t get excercising-depressed

Options
1235»

Replies

• Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    see if there is water aerobics or yoga for your age group .Just start moving you don't have to do back flips
    Thank you. Great suggestion about the water aerobics, that might be fun and also fun to be doing it in a group setting.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    KerrieA87 wrote: »
    Find something you like doing and that you want to do. The more you try push yourself into things you dislike the harder it will be to find the energy/desire to do it.

I have a few medical problems, some serious and some just irritating but I take each day as a different one. I might really want to do a 5km run but my medical issues can mean anything from that run sending me into anaphylaxis, me losing consciousness, having severe nausea so I can’t move to having mild knee discomfort for a couple of days. But I don’t let it get me down I just try again the next day (much to the hubby’s annoyance).

That’s brilliant and really encouraging and inspiring. I like the idea of just taking each new day as it comes.

I went for a walk today in the winter sunshine. I walked around a local park 3 times. It took 30 minutes. It was very leisurely and I didn’t really feel like I was ‘taking exercise’. It was lovely but I don’t know if it was as beneficial as my gym session yesterday, though far nicer.

• Happyirisheyes
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    @Happyirisheyes

Just a somewhat personal note here. I love what you're doing, and that you're sharing it here. I have a number of physical issues that slow me down, and to be perfectly honest, can frustrate the heck out of me sometimes where I get depressed for a couple of days and have to work out of it.

Reading your posts and seeing your determination is heartening and inspiring.

Thanks for sharing your journey, you got this, and you are not alone in it either. :) Keep on working and smiling. :)
    Thank you!
  • Happyirisheyes
    Options
    sjww2 wrote: »
    Get a Fitbit and start by walking in your house for 250 steps or less if you have to. I have to be close to my elderly father and have been unable to walk outside but I still get my steps in by dancing and walking around the house. Crank up your favorite music and enjoy yourself and you will soon not even realize you’re exercising
    I love this idea and the idea of not realizing that I’m exercising. I think if I say ‘I’m going to do some exercise now’ I automatically get depressed and feel like it is a chore but if I say ‘it’s a lovely day, I’ll go out for a quick walk’ it feels like more of a treat rather than a burden!