2»

Replies

• jamiekidby
    jamiekidby Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jamiekidby wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Do you have a food scale and weighing all your food?

I do have a food scale. When I am following "The Zone" which tends to work well for me, I do weigh and measure all of my food. It's just a lot of work and I am not sure I can make that committment to food prep right now. I figured tracking my calories would be sufficient. Does weighing the food that you are tracking calories with make a difference somehow?

Ahhh, food scales and eggs. How upset I was to find out how much those freakin’ eggs could vary. And it was rarely under one serving of “egg.” My record was one egg equaling 3.6 servings of egg.

Weigh ALL solid foods, including pre-packaged ones like yogurt and frozen meals and things that seem to be in their own packaging like eggs, slices of bread, and pieces of cheese. If your calorie goal is set correctly, you really don’t have a lot of wiggle room.

Really?! I guess weighing will be very eye opening!

I know this. My typical breakfast is a cup of seedless grapes, topped by a 6oz container of Greek yogurt and 1 bar out a 2-bar envelope of Nature Valley granola bars (calories vary by flavor). Initially, I was logging the cup of grapes using the database entry: Grapes - Raw, 1 cup which valued them at 62 calories. Then one day, I tared my bowl on the scale, measured out my cup of grapes, and tossed them into the bowl. And got something rather like today's entry: Grapes - Raw, 176 g valued at 118 calories, i.e. just under DOUBLE the measuring cup value. And those were grapes. Now 60-odd calories aren't making any kind of difference. But if I mess up on the grapes and I mess up on the mashed potatoes and I mess up on the peanut butter, it's totally possible for me to accidentally wipe out my deficit.

I'm a little scared!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I do have a food scale. When I am following "The Zone" which tends to work well for me, I do weigh and measure all of my food. It's just a lot of work and I am not sure I can make that committment to food prep right now. I figured tracking my calories would be sufficient. Does weighing the food that you are tracking calories with make a difference somehow?

Ahhh, food scales and eggs. How upset I was to find out how much those freakin’ eggs could vary. And it was rarely under one serving of “egg.” My record was one egg equaling 3.6 servings of egg.

Weigh ALL solid foods, including pre-packaged ones like yogurt and frozen meals and things that seem to be in their own packaging like eggs, slices of bread, and pieces of cheese. If your calorie goal is set correctly, you really don’t have a lot of wiggle room.

Really?! I guess weighing will be very eye opening!

I know this. My typical breakfast is a cup of seedless grapes, topped by a 6oz container of Greek yogurt and 1 bar out a 2-bar envelope of Nature Valley granola bars (calories vary by flavor). Initially, I was logging the cup of grapes using the database entry: Grapes - Raw, 1 cup which valued them at 62 calories. Then one day, I tared my bowl on the scale, measured out my cup of grapes, and tossed them into the bowl. And got something rather like today's entry: Grapes - Raw, 176 g valued at 118 calories, i.e. just under DOUBLE the measuring cup value. And those were grapes. Now 60-odd calories aren't making any kind of difference. But if I mess up on the grapes and I mess up on the mashed potatoes and I mess up on the peanut butter, it's totally possible for me to accidentally wipe out my deficit.

I'm a little scared!

yeah you will be surprised and also packaged food can be off by up to 20% PER SERVING!. you will be shocked when you weigh everything(solids/semi solids in grams) only use measuring cups/spoons for liquids .It was an eye opener for me too when I came here and was told to weigh EVERYTHING. I am still shocked some days what something can weigh vs eyeballing it.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Go figure; eggs are one of the (very few) items I *don’t* typically weigh. Now I’m a little afraid to... 😆
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options

Go figure; eggs are one of the (very few) items I *don’t* typically weigh. Now I’m a little afraid to... 😆

Me too, I love fried egg and beans on toast as an alternative fry up and have been taking the usda medium egg value when I log, I never thought about weighing them - ooops
  • sammie754
    sammie754 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same weight as you (was 213 January 1st and down to 198 today) and though I don't count calories, I count macros I'm eating about 1350 calories a day and work out about an hour a day. I think you will find weighing everything is key. Also you said your getting most of your protein from eggs. If your eating whole eggs and not weighing them, they can have drastically different weights. Also consider each egg has about 5-6 grams of fat. The weighing has really helped me because packaging serving sizes are off a lot. For example the other day I was weighing out Trader Joes Asparagus and the serving size said 84 grams (about 7 pieces). 84 grams was actually about 12 pieces so in this instance I was able to eat a little more.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »

Me too, I love fried egg and beans on toast as an alternative fry up and have been taking the usda medium egg value when I log, I never thought about weighing them - ooops

yep my large eggs say 50g on the package one was 54g the other was 55 so 109g for 2 eggs. maybe not a lot of calories there but they all add up
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

That one was a double yolk! But truthfully, most were at least 1.33 servings of egg.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

yep my large eggs say 50g on the package one was 54g the other was 55 so 109g for 2 eggs. maybe not a lot of calories there but they all add up

I started weighing eggs when I was getting them from a farm stand and the sizes were visibly different. I'm back to supermarket eggs now, and weighing them, and there is a surprising amount of variety within a dozen supermarket eggs as well.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I started weighing eggs when I was getting them from a farm stand and the sizes were visibly different. I'm back to supermarket eggs now, and weighing them, and there is a surprising amount of variety within a dozen supermarket eggs as well.

I agree you wouldnt think there would be such a big difference in store eggs.