How bad are artificial sweeteners? Splenda?

Options
Do you think zero calorie artificial sweeteners create havoc on your diet?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

No.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Too much aspartame gives me headaches (more than one drink per day containing it), and I hate the taste of xylitol. Other than that, I haven't found any artificial sweeteners to be bad for me.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    silvianog wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners are not good they cause migraines and other issues..artificial sweeteners are a huge no no good alternatives are stevia, monk fruit and erithotyl.

I use artificial sweeteners every day and I've never had a migraine. I don't know what you mean by 'other issues' but I'm in excellent health and have no medical problems, so what you're describing has not been my experience.

Some people are intolerant/sensitive to them and they should avoid using them. But, they don't have that affect on many people so there's no reason to avoid them unless you don't care for the taste.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    They don’t appear to hurt my diet nor do I get migraines. I love the fact zero calories!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

They allow me to have sweet when I want it and still meet my weight loss goals without adverse affects. For me, the answer to your question is no. Everyone is different.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on how they make you feel. I have noticed that my body can handle small amounts of aspartame with no issues, but sorbitol is deadly to my digestive system. The flavored sparkling water I drink has sucralose (Splenda), and those are ok as long as I have no more than about 20 ounces a day. When I go above that, it can cause bloating, but I haven't noticed any other symptoms.