30 Day Shred

Options
xxghost
xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
I know that there have probably been loads of similar topics, but before you cry "topic repeat," let me preface this by saying I did go through the last half-dozen pages of the forum and didn't see anything.

I started 30DS a week ago (today is day 8), and I'm really loving it! Lost a pound this week, as well as a few inches. But I do have a couple of questions, and I was hoping to hear from people who have some experience in 30DS.

1. Do you take rest days? I haven't taken any yet, but people have told me that they're important.

2. How long did you stick with level one before moving to level two? I still get my butt kicked every day, but my endurance has really improved. I'm now doing the more advanced version of each move. I had told myself that I'd do ten days at each, but I'm thinking I might be ready to move on. Should I stick it out for a couple more days, or should I jump right into something more difficult?

I know everyone is different, which I was hoping to hear back from a few people before making decisions for my own workout.

Thanks for your help in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• xxghost
    Options
    No one at all?
  • Daniellew768
    Daniellew768 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mix up the 3 levels because I get bored doing the same one. Always take a rest day once a week. Good luck!
  • PBlilacs
    PBlilacs Posts: 23
    Options
    When I did 30DS I worked out Mon-Fri because I did a lot of extra cardio on Fri and Sat and took Sun as a rest day. I did two weeks on each level. Then I switched to Jillian Michaels Body revolution and I love that also!! Great job, keep up the good work!!!
  • xxghost
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

I ended up jumping ahead and tackling level 2 because I was feeling especially brave today. It was a lot harder than I was expecting, but I'm really glad I got through it.

I may end up taking a rest day once this week, just because I haven't taken one yet and I am doing the more difficult level now.
  • Badassey
    Badassey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In my experience, Level 2 is actually harder than Level 3. Level 2 kicked my *kitten* every time. After doing Level 2, Level 3 was a breeze. Just some food for thought! Also, I always took a rest day doing the 30DS. I've heard that Jillian says on her podcast that she intended for the program to be used in tandem with rest days and additional cardio. She has said to do the 30DS for two days, only cardio for one day (a comparable amount - 25-30 minutes), then take a rest day. And repeat that four-day cycle until you've done each level of the 30DS ten times. Any trainer or athlete will tell you that rest days are necessary - especially when you are doing full-body workouts that work the same muscles every time. Your muscles need time to repair themselves. Good luck!
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/15582-jillian-michaels-workout-group

please join us, lots of motivation and threads

im currently on day 16/30, did 10 days lv1 and on day 6/10 for lv2. level 2 is hard for me so im glad most people ive seen say lv3 is easier for them.

move on as suits you, you can always go back if you find it too hard as you will still have done another day. i personally am not planning on having a rest day as i do NOTHING ELSE but sit on my butt all day and its the only exercise i get.
  • Apple1234
    Apple1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have done the 30 day shred multiple times over the past year the first time I did all 30 days (10 days at each level) consecutively and wanted to die but made it through. I had amazing progress but that was the only exercise I was doing, I lot tons of inches but no weight. This time around I decided id do the 30 day shred every alternate days to my running with no rest days. I have found that this time its been 1 week and ive lost 2.4 pounds and 1 inch from my waist already! I may take a few rest days this time since im quite sore however im scared ill stop everything if I dont do something every day.. Keep up the amazing work!! You guys are all doing so awesome! :)
  • xxghost
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the advice! And the link to the group - I have already joined it!

I was told when I first started that cardio + 30DS leads to the best results. So I've been doing both every day. I have the time for it, and at the moment, the motivation. I'm seeing a lot of progress already, but I'm afraid if I keep it up at this rate, I'll burn out before I finish the 30 days. I jumped up to level 2 a few days early, and it was really tough. I'm hurting today.

I think I may take a rest day this week, just to let my body rest. I've been pushing it pretty hard - going from 20 minutes of cardio a day to 30-45 AND 30DS.
  • Margo0823
    Margo0823 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love all of Jillian's DVD's. Have done 30DS but now doing the Body Revolution and am just at the end of Phase 2 (end of second month). It is very difficult and almost afraid to start Phase 3. Stick with her - she is really good. She has lots of DVD's out there and I need to mix them up or I get bored.