Options
preciousleks
preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
Hi
Am Precious
I joined the MFP last September
And I have gained 3.5 kgs and I currently weigh 65.5kg
5'8 tall
I was doing pretty well with exercises and eating, but 3weeks ago I was diagnosed with H. Pylori bacteria.
It has been difficult to eat 2,200calories since h. Pylori has some meals restrictions. I have not been exercising, but the exercises were helping me to gain.
My body feels lazy to exercise

I am in need of motivation since I feel am going to loose all the weight that I worked for.
Thank you so much
ยซ1

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Are you being treated (antibios and ppis for example) If so then it should clear up. What foods have you been told to avoid?
    I sympathise, I've experienced setbacks too and it sucks when you've worked so hard to gain, but, you've done it once and you can do it again!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    What does your treatment plan look like? Are you on antibiotics? How long is your course? When I was in undergraduate school I was a research assistant for a professor working with H. Pylori. They had just found the link between H. Pylori and stomach ulcers.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Chances are you have had H.pylori since you were a child. There are no dietary restrictions for H.pylori, but if you are having acid reflux then you may want to avoid certain foods that can aggravate. You should be treated with antibiotics as well and some can have dietary restrictions only while taking (some foods can inhibit absorption of the medication), but the pharmacist would tell you that. H.pylori has nothing to do with weight loss/gain and should not keep you from any activity. Go back to your routine that was helping you lose weight.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Practically everyone has some H. Pylori. It's the occasions when our biome fails to actively constrain H. Pylori that we get into trouble.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This makes little medical sense - speaking as a microbiologist. Who is treating you?

You were diagnosed 3 weeks ago? The course of treatment is ~2 weeks, so I hope you have already taken an initial cycle of antibiotics and scheduled for a review.

I had an ulcer in 1986 and this was later diagnosed as H. pylori. Was on a cycle of tetracycline for 2 weeks followed by amoxicillin for 2 weeks and done.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Triple or Quad therapy is standard treatment (depends on local resistance rates); Clarithromycin + Amoxicillin (2 weeks) + Proton Pump Inhibitor (6 weeks) is most commonly used course in my area. Alternative antibiotics include Tetracycline & Metronidazole...need to confirm eradication via Urea Breath Test upon completion of proton pump inhibitor (can cause false positive if you do not discontinue)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Am Precious
    5'8 tall
    I was doing pretty well with exercises and eating, but 3weeks ago I was diagnosed with H. Pylori bacteria.
    It has been difficult to eat 2,200calories since h. Pylori has some meals restrictions. I have not been exercising, but the exercises were helping me to gain.

I am in need of motivation since I feel am going to loose all the weight that I worked for.
    Thank you so much

what restricition food wise are there? I was never on any food restrictions. I had to take 2 antibiotics and a PPI. just know that from now on too that future blood work will show that you have h pylori even if its not active. you wont lose weight if you eat enough calories. was exercise increasing your appetite to help you gain? if not you arent gaining real weight from exercise just water weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Chances are you have had H.pylori since you were a child. There are no dietary restrictions for H.pylori, but if you are having acid reflux then you may want to avoid certain foods that can aggravate. You should be treated with antibiotics as well and some can have dietary restrictions only while taking (some foods can inhibit absorption of the medication), but the pharmacist would tell you that. H.pylori has nothing to do with weight loss/gain and should not keep you from any activity. Go back to your routine that was helping you lose weight.

exactly this. I had it and had NO restrictions except for like you said certain foods I had to wait to eat so many hours before or after my meds. it can have a lot to do with weight gain because I know with me when I had it I would have this gnawing ,burning feeling that only went away when I would eat something. h pylori can make you feel hungry,for some it can cause weight loss if it makes them not want to eat due to the nausea and pain. so yes it can indirectly cause weight loss or gain.depending on the symptoms a person has and how it makes them feel.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Triple or Quad therapy is standard treatment (depends on local resistance rates); Clarithromycin + Amoxicillin (2 weeks) + Proton Pump Inhibitor (6 weeks) is most commonly used course in my area. Alternative antibiotics include Tetracycline & Metronidazole...need to confirm eradication via Urea Breath Test upon completion of proton pump inhibitor (can cause false positive if you do not discontinue)

my gastro said once its in the blood that the urea breath test is not accurate and stool sample is the most accurate way to tell if its active or not.when she did my scope for my GERD(I had h pylori in the past) she looked for h pylori and took a sample and tested it for the h pylori. now she said it can be tested that way when they are doing a scope but once you have it blood/breath tests will show it being active when it is not and something to do with stool will show if the bacteria is active or not. I dont know lol but I know its not fun to have when you get the nasty symptoms with it(some dont have any)
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    UBT done for convenience...less invasive, less "fun" than having someone do a Fecal Antigen Test (FAT) for the obvious... Where's that poop emoji?...๐Ÿ’ฉ
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    UBT done for convenience...less invasive, less "fun" than having someone do a Fecal Antigen Test (FAT) for the obvious... Where's that poop emoji?...๐Ÿ’ฉ

yeah I know who wants to do a fecal test but she said that the urea breath test would show a positive even when its not, my own GP at the time also said that before I went and saw my gastro(years before). even the hospital said if you have ever had it they dont usually test that way only stool. I was told the breath test can be done for those who have never been tested for it.but for me I would rather have accurate results
  • preciousleks
    Options
    What does your treatment plan look like? Are you on antibiotics? How long is your course? When I was in undergraduate school I was a research assistant for a professor working with H. Pylori. They had just found the link between H. Pylori and stomach ulcers.

I took the h. Pylori kit treatment for one week and I was still feeling the burn, so I went back one week later and I was given some more medication (syrup)
  • preciousleks
    Options
    Hi
    Am Precious
    5'8 tall

Thank you so much

what restricition food wise are there? I was never on any food restrictions. I had to take 2 antibiotics and a PPI. just know that from now on too that future blood work will show that you have h pylori even if its not active. you wont lose weight if you eat enough calories. was exercise increasing your appetite to help you gain? if not you arent gaining real weight from exercise just water weight.

They told me not to eat ๐ŸŸ, not to drink carbonated drinks, even juice unless am blending some fruits at home. Not to eat food with paprika or cayenne (spicy foods). Not to drink cold drinks.
  • preciousleks
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Are you being treated (antibios and ppis for example) If so then it should clear up. What foods have you been told to avoid?
    I sympathise, I've experienced setbacks too and it sucks when you've worked so hard to gain, but, you've done it once and you can do it again!

Chips, carbonated drinks, spicy foods. Drinks from the fridge.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It should be OK to eat high calorie foods that are not on that list?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

I took the h. Pylori kit treatment for one week and I was still feeling the burn, so I went back one week later and I was given some more medication (syrup)

Treatment should be for 10-14 days. Are you seeing a GI? As far as the dietary recommendations this is for gastritis in general and not just H. Pylori. I would think you would want to avoid these foods any way if you are trying to lose weight.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your H. pylori, it can be difficult to control. If you can find some brand of digestive microbes to increase your levels of the most helpful bacteria it could be really helpful to you. There are several brands now which produce products designed to do just this particularly following the use of antibiotics. (There is a UK company which is available internationally.) I find the increasing literature on digestive microbes very interesting, how the different varieties fulfil different functions helping us to digest the foods we eat.

I hope you feel well soon and are able to get back on track.
  • preciousleks
    Options

Treatment should be for 10-14 days. Are you seeing a GI? As far as the dietary recommendations this is for gastritis in general and not just H. Pylori. I would think you would want to avoid these foods any way if you are trying to lose weight.

Am not trying to loose. I am on a weight gain journey
  • preciousleks
    Options
    It should be OK to eat high calorie foods that are not on that list?

Yeah