freedom from formerly off limit foods

Options
QuirkyD
QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
Using MFP has made me realize that I need to trust myself to choose what I want to eat, which at times is quite a challenge but I am managing. For years I listened to various people and followed certain diets and I picked up some rules of off limit foods along the way. Now that I am using MFP, I have added back in three things I love and I savor every time-- yogurt, corn on the cob, and watermelon! Enjoying food again and not viewing items as good or bad is so freeing!

What are you enjoying now that you are making your own way?

[I was told the only cow-dairy that didn't have too much sugar was cottage cheese and fruits and corn were too high in sugar]

Replies

• Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I can eat pizza, ice cream, and even potato chips now as long as I "budget" for the calories.
    I try to make the times i eat these "exceptions", but I don't feel guilty for eating them when I do.
    (If I ate pizza, ice cream, and potato chips every day.. i would feel awful and then start to overeat and get back to where i started)

btw normally I try to eat mostly;

oatmeal
    blueberries
    chicken breast
    tuna
    egg whites
    broccoli, carrots, celery
    lean ham
    fish
    olive oil
    string cheese
    whey protein
    quest protein bars when necessary

etc.

However.. the other day I had a dark chocolate bar and I enjoyed every bit of it!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I remember when I used to believe that eating real cheese, fatty cuts of meat, eggs, and salt would cause me to be fat and die of heart disease. When people told me to eat carbohydrates because your body needs them for energy.

Now I eat all the full-fat foods and meats that I want, I don't have to eat rice and bread because I've been told I had to, and I salt my food. I've lost a ton of weight, my blood markers are much better, and I feel great all the time.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Now I eat all the full-fat foods and meats that I want,

^^^this

I am happy eating "real food" and just counting my calories

I put two full tablespoons of olive oil on my salad and feel great about it.
    (Plus I am not getting the high fructose corn syrup from processed dressings)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I find that the moment I say something is "off limits" is the moment I want it the most. As such, no food is off limits to me. I go with an 80/20 mindset now. 80% of my food is as whole and "healthy" as possible. The other 20% is pretty much whatever I want. Some weeks I don't have a huge splurge and it might be more 90/10... but knowing I have the ability to have what I want actually makes it easier to stick to a healthier meal plan more often. I find a cookie can get rid of a craving when I used to eat 5 or more. It really is a mental thing for me (which is also why it gets harder when I am depressed).
  • QuirkyD
    Options
    Thanks for your replies--- it is very nice to hear what you are eating and how you view "off limit" foods. I like what I hear!
  • QuirkyD
    Options
    I forgot that Guacamole is another one that used to be off limits and now I enjoy immensely!
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    I tend to let everyone elses advice go in one ear and out the other.

One person tells you to lose weight you need to not eat bread or rice or whatever..
    then the next person you talk to says only eat fruits and salads and meat once a week..
    then the next person will tell you that you can't have that or this...
    and its funny cause all these people with all their great tips and advice..
    they dont count calories, they dont go to the gym, they all have extra weight, and none of them follow their own rules.

And to add icing to the cake, even if you've had success losing weight, they still try and make you change what you're doing and tell you you need to do this and that... people drive me crazy.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No food is off limits on my meal plan.... If I want it I eat it.... The only difference now is I know when to say enough instead of mindlessly eating out of an addictive mindset.... So yeah life is meant to be enjoyed and enjoying good food in moderation is part of my plan..... Best of Luck