Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I love your new photo, @firef1y72!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    These posts always make me so sad. Don't be ashamed or embarrassed. Be proud that you're getting healthy! I guarantee you that no one is giving you a second thought. I'm a self-proclaimed gym rat. I put my headphones in and concentrate on what I have to do. I'll only notice you if you're hogging all of the equipment (don't be THAT guy :D )
  • jacalynrose11
    jacalynrose11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would totally suggest a trainer to start. My sister recently had 10 sessions with a trainer to get her started. Not only does she have a better understanding of the work-out equipment, but she feels more confident to walk in. I agree that anxiety plays a huge part in going to the gym. I struggle myself, and I think some the "healthy, fit" people even struggle with anxiety in going to the gym as well! It's totally normal. Know that you have a support system here! Good luck.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    zfaque wrote: »
    I’m not sure how I’ve entered that 3 times?! Let’s hope I do better on this journey than I do with technology. Many thanks all for your responses. I think I’ll start with you tube excercises then when I feel more confident I will call the gym to see when the less busy times are and give it a go. Thanks again all

Try the fit father project by Dr Anthony Bulzini
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1. I've discovered nobody cares. :wink:
    2. This time of year, there are a lot of slightly to very out of shape people. Refer back to point 1.
    3. Busy times of day can be better if you feel people are judging you, as there is so much going on, no one can focus on just you.
    4. If you just feel uncomfortable or don't know how to use the machines, approach the front desk and ask them if they offer any orientation sessions, or find out how much a personal trainer is to help you get a good start. Once you are more comfortable with all the options they have, you will find you are more comfortable overall.

Best wishes!!
  • iSneakers
    iSneakers Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym because of how good you’ll feel when you’re done working out. Don’t even care what others are thinking.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    The only people that get looked at in gyms are the over the top grunters, moaners that usually are strong but not as strong as they think they are. Like in the Planet Fitness commercials.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you saw me at the gym, you'd judge me already "fit and healthy." I'm at a healthy weight and good BMI, wear a single-digit size, and look slim. What you don't know is that my bloodwork is not very good so I'm doing cardio to try to fix it. And you also don't know that I recently suffered from 2 years of intense back pain, so the yoga and swimming help keep my muscles limber. People go to the gym for all sorts of reasons, not all of which are visible.

I go to a YMCA, which is very open to all ages and sizes. I do not give a *kitten* about anyone in the gym unless they are bothering me or they are being intrusively loud or rude. Neither will anyone else. If I see a large person at the gym, I think, "Oh good for them! They are doing something to get better," and I go on with my day.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This is maybe too simple. But I think you have to realize, there are two types of people who go to the gym.
    There are those who really like to move and work out. They don't care who you are or what you are doing because they are immersed in their own activities and having fun.
    And, there are people who are dissatisfied with their own strength or looks and they want to improve. Those people clearly are comparing themselves to other people (Not strong enough compared to what? or whom?) and, therefore, have their own insecurities, so who are they to judge?
    (Personally, I fall in to both camps.)
    So, you are not so different from anyone else. If any of us were perfect, we wouldn't have gyms or we wouldn't go to them.
  • ActiveStevie
    ActiveStevie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you’re new to exercising, I would highly recommend beginning with walking. At least a half hour a day, 5 days a week, midday or later. This is how I began my weight loss of over 60 pounds. Any questions about hows or why feel free to ask.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I went to the gym for a while when I was about 100 lbs. overweight and frankly no one seemed to notice me. I guess it depends on the gym but I was at the YMCA and it was just a really nice facility where I worked out. Having said all of that when I finally lost the weight I just walked for exercise and still do. I am now trying to weight lift at home to build some muscle but if the gym is uncomfortable for you find something you enjoy that will get you moving.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    zfaque wrote: »
    I have a lot to lose at about 100 lb and realise I need to excercise. I’ve never been to a gym in my life and the idea of going makes me very anxious. I will feel embarrassed in front of all the fit and healthy people, I’m not sure I can face it. Can anyone give me any pointers or share your experiences, it would really help. Thanks

I felt exactly like you did. In some ways even worse because I was starting out with a water aerobics class so I had to walk around in a bathing suit will all my spandex clad fat available for viewing. You know what? Nobody cared. The looks I got were mostly "who's the new girl?" type looks.

Check out a few places and see if they tend to cater to the really fit or to everybody. You want a simple program to start so ask what programs they offer. If you are looking for some place that has equipment rather than classes, look for a place that offers free introductory sessions with a trainer so you can learn proper technique.

Trust me, most people are too into their own workout to pay attention. Be polite, wipe down anything after using it, and smile and nod when you meet someone's eye and you will be fine. The hardest part is the first day. Once you have been there once, the rest is much easier.

^^this^^
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for awhile - IMO, something that stands out to me in the PF commercials is that the "lunk" only exists in the newbie's mind. The ones being the most harshly judgmental toward the novice gym-goers are themselves.

I'm STILL guilty of this sometimes, even though I've been exercising in public for a couple of years now. My form is off. I'm out of step. I'm sweating too much. I'm lifting too light. I look like a dork. (The last one is probably true all the time, not just at the gym... but you get the idea!)

One of the things that helps me is to personalize this negative voice, and to imagine that it's saying these things to someone I care deeply about. Maybe for you it's your kids, or a spouse, or a close friend, or your parents. Imagine someone saying those things to them.

Then - what would you say to the person you care about? Maybe it's that you believe in them. That you know they can do this. That it's okay to be nervous. That you know they can be brave. Tell yourself that.

And what would you say to the negative voice? I call mine Felicia, so that I can say this:

sq9zf3u7rzdc.gif
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for awhile - IMO, something that stands out to me in the PF commercials is that the "lunk" only exists in the newbie's mind. The ones being the most harshly judgmental toward the novice gym-goers are themselves.

I'm STILL guilty of this sometimes, even though I've been exercising in public for a couple of years now. My form is off. I'm out of step. I'm sweating too much. I'm lifting too light. I look like a dork. (The last one is probably true all the time, not just at the gym... but you get the idea!)

One of the things that helps me is to personalize this negative voice, and to imagine that it's saying these things to someone I care deeply about. Maybe for you it's your kids, or a spouse, or a close friend, or your parents. Imagine someone saying those things to them.

Then - what would you say to the person you care about? Maybe it's that you believe in them. That you know they can do this. That it's okay to be nervous. That you know they can be brave. Tell yourself that.

And what would you say to the negative voice? I call mine Felicia, so that I can say this:

sq9zf3u7rzdc.gif

Yes, and I'd add that the first time is the hardest. Get past that and it's so much easier the second time.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    The fit people at the gym know how much work it took them to get there, and they're focused on their next fitness goal.

The most judgmental people in the world are people who feel bad about themselves and aren't sure what to do to improve their own situation. They look around for people to look down on, because that's the only way they can make themselves feel better.

Everyone at the gym has a plan to get fitter or stay fit, so they don't need to judge you to assuage their self-esteem. If you want to go to the gym, go! It's probably less judgmental there than anywhere else.