Walking to lose weight?

Options
Hi all just a quick question how much walking per day do I need to walk to lose weight??

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You need to eat less calories than your body burns to lose weight. Exercise is very beneficial for overall health, but not necessary for weight loss. Burning more calories through exercise allows you to consume more calories, as long as you eat less calories than your body burns.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    Hi all just a quick question how much walking per day do I need to walk to lose weight??

You cannot outrun or outwalk a bad diet. Walking helps, but you have to burn more energy than you consume. Walking is a tiny portion of the total for most. It's much easier to take control of your input than your output.
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Walking was useful in my weight loss efforts because it helped reduce my hunger. I know that seems like an odd thing to say but it could be because it was a stress/boredom reducer? Anyway I get about 125 calories for 8,000 steps a day. Not a huge burn but it has helped in so many other ways it's well worth it. My stamina is better and my joints are much better.
    That’s very encouraging
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for your heart, lungs, body and spirit. But sadly burns only about 1/3 of your body weight in calories per mile.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, I'll use me as an example. I'm ~200 lbs. The general formula for calories burned walking is

weight X .3 X miles

I'm in Canada so I need to convert to KM's

Weight X .3 X miles X .6214

So for each KM I burn ~ 37 calories

1 lb of fat is 3500 calories

I need to walk ~95 KM to burn the equivalent of 1 lb of fat.

For running the factor is .63 (instead of the .3)

So for 1 KM I burn ~ 78 cals.

I need to run ~45 km to burn 1 lb of fat. That is more than a marathon.

There are other formulas that provide a bit better estimate, but the difference is not that great, so the short answer is that walking does not make a huge impact on weight loss, but can be an important factor in health.

95 kms to lose 1 lb of fat @200 lbs? That really does put things in perspective. I guess in the long run it makes a difference.

OP if you weigh less you burn even fewer calories obviously.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »

An exercise only approach to weight loss rarely works. Many people relax their eating habits a bit "because they are exercising." So without diligently monitoring food intake, weight loss doesn't happen at the rate they expect.

https://www.fitnessblender.com/articles/calories-burned-walking-can-you-lose-weight-walking
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Burn more calories than you eat to lose weight. My 20 minute *brisk* walk/jog burned most of my 320 breakfast calories. I get to "start over" my calorie allotment for the day.

Burn rates vary based on individual's stats. A 20 minute 'brisk' walk burns around 50 calories for me. One slice of my breakfast toast is 70 calories, so it has a pretty insignificant impact in the scheme of things. I walk for health but I don't factor it into my weight management goals/calorie intake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Nice brisk walk today:

a730427903cc808120afc4df471c7da2.png
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just FYI. Walking can help and is worth incorporating into one's routine, but its benefits are frequently exaggerated

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/is-walking-enough#1
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Burn more calories than you eat to lose weight. My 20 minute *brisk* walk/jog burned most of my 320 breakfast calories. I get to "start over" my calorie allotment for the day.

Burn rates vary based on individual's stats. A 20 minute 'brisk' walk burns around 50 calories for me. One slice of my breakfast toast is 70 calories, so it has a pretty insignificant impact in the scheme of things. I walk for health but I don't factor it into my weight management goals/calorie intake.

THIS. A lot of people say that walking is excellent exercise, but it's benefits are very much marginal... especially the way most people do it.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to ensure that you are consuming fewer calories than you are burning. Walking can help burn a few calories (the amount burned varies by your weight, sex, and intensity of the exercise), but it all comes down to your basic stats and what you are putting in your mouth. If you are eating too much, even 5 hours of walking won't make you lose weight.

ETA: Have you set up your profile and weight-loss goals yet in My Fitness Pal? If you spend, say, an hour a day walking, you can enter that exercise into your diary and it will give you a few hundred more calories to eat for the day (while still keeping you in a deficit).

This ^^ pretty much sums it up.
    Walking may not seem like much, but in my opinion any exercise is better than none. Sure, it doesn't burn a huge amount of calories when compared to other types of exercise, but it helps. In my case (with the numbers MFP has given me), it has been helping immensely: I burn around 200 calories an hour and that makes a difference when my daily allowance is 1200 calories.

Sometimes joining a gym or exercising at home aren't an option. Sometimes walking is the first step a person can take to feel better. Start with 5 or 10 minutes, it doesn't matter how small it sounds. Soon you'll feel more confident to extend that time and start seeing results!