Options
13»

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    Burn more calories than you eat to lose weight. My 20 minute *brisk* walk/jog burned most of my 320 breakfast calories. I get to "start over" my calorie allotment for the day.

This is pretty hard to believe that a person could burn 320 calories by walking for 20 min. I don't think that I burn that much RUNNING for 20 minutes!

Agree, I'd be curious to know pp's stats, that's getting them this kind of burn from walking.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    zeejane4 wrote: »
    csplatt wrote: »
    Burn more calories than you eat to lose weight. My 20 minute *brisk* walk/jog burned most of my 320 breakfast calories. I get to "start over" my calorie allotment for the day.

This is pretty hard to believe that a person could burn 320 calories by walking for 20 min. I don't think that I burn that much RUNNING for 20 minutes!

Agree, I'd be curious to know pp's stats, that's getting them this kind of burn from walking.

Most likely a case of someone misinterpreting their fitness tracker's gross calorie burn as net.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What I have accomplished in the past 12 months of “just” walking and keeping to my calories.

1. Lost 55 lbs (10 more to go)
    2. Off reflux meds
    3. Off all meds for type 2 (last A1C check was 5.0)
    4. Resting heart rate went from 85 to 60 bpm
    5. Improved mood
    6. Less stress and anxiety
    7. I can do a 4 mph pace for 60 min with hills.

Wow ! Wish I could do #7 ! Am still feeling breathy on my route and I do it twice a day and over the last 3 months !

You are giving me something to aim for !
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I lost 23 lbs walking in about 3.5 months. I started with 5000 steps and went up to 15000-20000 in less than a month clocking in anywhere between 4-6 miles a day .But I did mindful eating. My calorie goal for day was 1200 (age/weight/activity level - everything matters). But I was lot less hungry after I started to walk on daily and always craved for healthy food. So even after eating tummy full, I still would have about 300-500 calories left. I know you need to have minimum amount of calories. But I couldn't get in more . That was my limit. I was full ! My fitness pal helped me show how much less food I could survive on and how much extra I was eating. I never starved. That's the point.

Carbs / fatty / sugar would make me want to throw up. Not that I didn't eat them at all. What and how I ate was what mattered. my sugar craving was satisfied by eating just 1 single dates. Carbs craving by a spoon or 2 of rice. I would feel satisfied and I didn't have to eat more. But I would gorge in healthy stuff. Just couldn't get enough.

So walking alone wouldn't help. A planned healthy diet combined with calorie burning definitely works wonders.

How did you find out your daily calories to eat per day??
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    When you sign up your put in your age, weight and height, select your activity level before exercise and it gives you a calorie goal.

You can also do this by selecting "goals" in the menu
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When you sign up your put in your age, weight and height, select your activity level before exercise and it gives you a calorie goal.

You can also do this by selecting "goals" in the menu

OK thank you😊
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I find walking really helps me lose weight. I walk at a brisk pace around a two mile loop. That coupled with watching what I eat works. I don't have to run..thank goodness.