You’ve Got This

Options
I go to Planet Fitness and they stay true to the no critics rule, everyone is there for the same reason. As long as you’re putting yourself first and doing the best you can, you’ll be surrounded by people willing to help and who are on a very similar journey. You’ve got this, and you can do it!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I don't have any critics at my Y, either . . . other than the people who are paid for the service of correcting what I'm doing in classes, of course. ;)

Planet Fitness is super affordable, and great for many people. But their advertising creates the impression that other gyms are full of ultra-fit snooty people who are mean to others. That's incorrect.

I'm not saying that no one has had a bad experience anywhere ever, but I've spent a lot of time at my Y, and some time at other gyms. I've never had a negative experience, even as an older, obese woman with bilateral mastectomies (so completely flat, including in my swimsuit, as I don't wear prosthetics when I work out). No criticism, no jeers, no jokes, no funny looks, nothing.

If one is an exercise beginner, it's good to pick a gym where beginners are welcome (as they are at most, a few very specialized gyms may be an exception).

Then, as you say, "As long as you’re putting yourself first and doing the best you can, you’ll be surrounded by people willing to help and who are on a very similar journey. You’ve got this, and you can do it!"
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Basically no one is a critic. Not at Crunch, not anywhere.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    No one at my not university's gym is a critic either. The difference, however, is that they don't rely on the idea that people won't be critics to try to entice students, faculty, staff, and alumni through the doors.

"everyone is there for the same reason." If we change "same" to "similar" this is true everywhere (my logic being that "fitness" is a very broad goal). No one goes to the gym to jeer at other people and if they do, there's something else going on. This isn't unique to Planet Fitness. People are far too self absorbed to really care unless what you're doing is somehow affecting what they want to do or is audibly startling. Ex a bunch of people looked over when it sounded like someone fell off of a treadmill this morning.

I actually was very close to helping the person next to me on the rowing machine this morning, but that's because he looked genuinely confused when setting it up (adjusting the foot stretcher). I didn't because I wasn't sure how to approach him in a way that didn't seem potentially judgmental.
    You’ve got this, and you can do it!
    Yep - you totally got this!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been to all types of gyms and I haven't seen one yet with a critic.

You don't really need a rule for this sort of thing. The vast majority of people just want to focus on their own fitness, they're not going to bother thinking about anyone else's.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever judge people at the gym is when they take way too long with a limited piece of equipment. And not even when they're actually using it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    No one at my not university's gym is a critic either.

I agree. No one at my university gym is a critic either. We all mind our own business and do our exercise. Occasionally we'll even smile at each other.