Sustainable maintenance effort vs. original goal weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    hollyhom wrote: »
    This was a very enlightening thread. I never realized there was so little difference in maintenance calories when we're talking about the last 5-10 pounds. I think the sustainability question really boils down to the reduced calories you have to sustain to actually get down those last 5-10 pounds, and not once you are already there. For example, at 5 ft and 116, in order for me to get to 110, I would have to eat at 1600 calories for 4-5 months with very to no room for error to get to 110 lbs. And there is really zero room for error, so even being very diligent, you would have to eat at reduced calories for many months to get to that magic number and I'd pretty much be miserable every day. Or I can be fine at 116 and consider it my maintenance. At 116 I can eat 1900 vs a maintenance of 1863 at 110 (39 measly extra calories for 6 full pounds). So for me, it would be, is worth the misery of eating at 1600 vs 1900 for months for those few pounds? Having typed it out, I would say, probably not.

haha I've been slowly loosing for like 10months now and 1600 calories would be a dream ;) i'm at 1400 for 0.5pds/week to lose the "last 5" - but I keep pushing back my goal so the last 5 are never the last 5...

My BMR is a measly 1226 but I work out 4-5 days a week for an hour, so my extra calories to 1600 come from that and general NEAT activity. I tried 1400 and I got through lunch. lol. I'm ok with sticking to that level of activity to get the extra maintenance calories.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    oh, and I've been trying to lose those last 6 pounds for almost a year now and I can't there. The margin of error is too small.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Initial goal weight was 135lbs. Hit that and didn't like where I was at, so I continued to lose-down to 118lbs (low end of BMI healthy range). Didn't like how I looked so I gained a few pounds and found my 'sweet spot' at 127-130lbs. Maintained there for a few years.

Currently at 138lbs, due to some weight creep last year (started at 143lbs earlier this month), and working my way down to 128ish lbs again. I didn't find 128-130lbs to be difficult to maintain, I just got lazy and threw portion sizes out the window, (as in I started eating 2 bags of Asiago bagels every week as a snack, with a tub of cheese :p ).
    To be able to eat 2 bag of Asiago bagels a week without weight gain would be orgasmic. LOL

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have found it pretty sustainable - I've gained 5 pounds in 6 years, but it's spring and it comes off every summer. It takes me five minutes a day to log. I integrate walking into my daily routine so I get 8-10K steps every day. I don't exercise other than walking to and from work - 30 minutes. When the ice finally melts I'll be walking an hour a day (and losing those winter pounds).