What to do about SUGAR/ Skinny on Obesity

Options
Hello everyone, a quick question about sugar see what everyone thinks .I recently watched a show called the skinny on Obesity you can find it http://www.uctv.tv/skinny-on-obesity/ it is really a eye opener .So here is the dilemma.Most experts say that we are to have (men 37.5 grams/ 9tsp and women 25 grams 6tsp)... Change your settings on your fitness pal to count sugar and I challenge you to try and stay under that count... It is next to impossible. Because even if you have a smoothie for breakfast your sugar count will be probably be over for the day. I know what you are thinking but sugar is sugar however you are getting the benefit of fibre .SO my question is what do you think the proper sugar count should be if we take into account natural sugar in fruits and vegetables.Let alone processed foods where you will see the sugar count Sky rocket.

Thanks and have a great day
Anyone else watch the Skinny on Obesity

IF not it is really scary and good http://www.uctv.tv/skinny-on-obesity/

JOHN

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I usually hit over 100g a day and I'm happy with that-it mostly comes from fruit and veggies (mostly in the form of my daily green smoothie).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay in budget don't worry about the macros. There's a big difference between refined sugars and naturally occurring fruit sugars and MFP doesn't break it out.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Most experts say that we are to have (men 37.5 grams/ 9tsp and women 25 grams 6tsp)...

Haven't seen the show, but glad to hear it was an eye-opener for you. My guess is, the limits you cite above, are regarding refined sugar - i.e. soda, candy, etc. If you are limiting processed foods and making healthy choices (some people refer to "eating clean") then you don't need to get hung up on total sugar grams. Off the top of my head, every food group on the food pyramid incudes sugar except meat group, but if you cook with marinades, BBQ sauces, etc, then you are adding in sugar. So take what you've learned, then apply the new knowledge as you consider healthy food choices over time. Integrate the info into the bigger picture ...
  • littlefoxyoga
    littlefoxyoga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My biology professor assigned us this challenge. It was easy for me because I have a lot of interest in Macrobiotic, clean and whole foods philosophies. It's harder if you are following a standard american diet to transition to a low sugar menu. Processed food, and lots of juices have added sugar. Read labels and you'll do well!
  • noremac
    noremac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone thanks for the input now go watch that show and come back and tell me what you think .

There are seven episodes and each one about 6 to 10 min

Thanks

John OUT
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    hA53EC23C
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    meh

i track my macros.

no need to stress about sugar too much.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I never tracked a gram of sugar through 312 lbs. of weight loss nor will I ever start.... I live by the mantra "Keep it Simple Stupid" and track my Caloric intake and macros.... Carbs, Proteins, and Fats beyond that I don't concern myself with sugar, sodium, etc.... Best of Luck
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I often wonder how much better off people would be if documentaries didn't exist. There really isn't anything more heavily biased or inflammatory (while claiming not to be) than the modern documentary.

There is nothing wrong with sugar. There is something wrong with over consuming sugar but, then again, there's something wrong with over consuming anything. It doesn't' make it bad or evil; it just means you need to be conscientious about what you put in your mouth and at what quantities.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    98.4% of the time, documentary is just synonym for propaganda.
  • penutbuttercups01
    Options
    There is a diffrence between Processed & refine sugars and Natural occuring sugars.
    I avoid Processed and refined like a plague, so my sugar consumption comes from my 2 serves of fruit & remainder of veggies and other sources of food daily. Bare in mind alot of that is also burnt during work outs so those number deplete even further.
    My personal advice is to stay away from all refined & processed sugars and other sources of food and stick to fresh produce. Regardless of counting macros or not because honestly I tried I think its a great idea works for thousands of people also but CBF for one and for 2 I would still eat only fresh organic produce regardless , so i stick to my guns...
    None of the less it is about doing what feels right and comfortable for you.
    Best fo luck x
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Thing is, avoiding added sugar is a good idea if you're not tracking. It's a proxy approach that will likely lead to a decrease in calorie consumption.

But it's not that useful if you track.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone thanks for the input now go watch that show and come back and tell me what you think .

There are seven episodes and each one about 6 to 10 min

Thanks

John OUT

"A calorie is a calorie"

This documentary calls that statement a dogma and that it's incorrect. It removes personal responsibility from individuals with the reasoning that it can't be the individual since it affects large populations of people. This rationale poses such a huge logical disconnect.

They did say one thing I completely agree with. Food is now cheap and abundant. Yes, it is and yes, that's why we're, as a people, fatter now than before. We couldn't afford to eat like we do now back then. However, they dance around the real reason obesity exists, over consumption, but don't tell people to eat less, they instead blame easily accessible, calorie dense foods as though an individual is incapable of turning it away or eating it in moderation.

If it proposed greater education as an important/vital tool, I'd like that but they don't because tat would fly in the face of their assertion that it's not the individual's responsibility but society's.

It also stated that obesity doesn't contribute to diseases like Type II diabetes, hypertension and fatty liver disease but that it's simply a marker for it. If that were true, then losing weight after developing those diseases wouldn't cure them or reduce their impact while in reality, that's exactly what happens. They're basically saying that correlation =/= cause in the case of obesity and obesity related diseases. I disagree.

So what did I think (I could only watch (stomach) part 1)? I saw a few grains of truth mixed with a lot of BS. So it's exactly what most documentaries are these days. Color me unimpressed.

1/10, would not bang (or continue to watch)
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to say that me who has just suffered through a heart attack and now sit here with congestive heart Is doing the wrong thing in dieting. Well I don't think so. I'm thinking If I hadn't dragged this excess poundage around for the last 40 years this would not have happened. Yes I'm blaming me and no one else. I put every morsel of food in my mouth myself. Now it's up to me to take care of it. It must be done now.

Probably this episode is just like all diet you take some leave some. You learn from it all. But man do you learn from your Mistakes as long as your willing to accept that it was your fault.

take care all
    See you lighter
    Linda
  • Bunnyeye
    Options
    Hi, bascis tell us one really have an open eye on all foods and .the ones you.ve pointed out.. Really in a few words you.ve just outlined that as a whole we can pass the time on studying the whole calorific game...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I can tell you the skinny on obesity without a documentary.

Straight up: obesity exists because of over consumption. Eating more than you need gets you fat. Eating way more than you need gets you obese.

/thread

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    There is not a day I have been on here that I haven't been waaaay waaaaaaaay over my sugar macros. I look pretty obese huh?

I would also like to pose the question to sugar people: What is the difference in the end product after the body breaks down naturally occurring sugar (fruits) vs say a coke?

Serious question. Please educate me. What is the difference to the body in say 5 grams of sugar in a fruit vs 5 grams of sugar in a soda? Can someone explain?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    One, obviously.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    hA53EC23C

+1
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I never tracked a gram of sugar through 312 lbs. of weight loss nor will I ever start.... I live by the mantra "Keep it Simple Stupid" and track my Caloric intake and macros.... Carbs, Proteins, and Fats beyond that I don't concern myself with sugar, sodium, etc.... Best of Luck

+10000

Love that mantra!