Ladies only // training on your period?

Options
Ladies! I am seriously struggling this period! I am trying to maintain my workout schedule but I have no energy. I feel lightheaded and weak doing the same things I do every day!
I’m not having any cravings but I feel like I need more food in order to function & think straight!

Do y’all typically eat more calories during this time of the month? And does the weight you gain typically just fall off as soon as your off of your period? Thanks in advance! ♥️

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance if I think I need it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    eat at maintenance and dial back workouts slightly - hormone fluctuations can affect strength, recovery etc
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yes I also eat closer to maintenance calories that week. And yes, the bloating/water weight does typically fall off within a few days after my period. The extra calories can help with the energy, but if you are a caffeine drinker, maybe have an extra drink during that time for an extra boost of energy. I do find that my workouts may be better or worse depending on where I am in my monthly cycle, but I don't let it make me miss a workout.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around maintanence or slightly over...TOM rarely effects my workouts. Generally, any discomfort will subside once I start moving and the extra food (and water) helps combat fatigue.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I feel extremely weak and tired just before I get my period - so usually I'll still gym but I just take it easier - lower the weights/faff around a bit more instead of go hardcore. I don't change my calories. I usually get the ravenous beast mode up to a week before the period, and I just eat more on that one particular day - it passes quite quickly, just one day.

When I'm actually ON the period, sometimes when it's very heavy (I get some Texas Chainsaw Massacre action going...) I might skip gym on that one heavy AF day and walk instead.

I have, however, discovered period undies and they are the best invention since sliced bread and they also work 100% at the gym - this has changed my life as I now actually lift even on heavy days (I tend not to do leg days tho, I do upper body) without any discomfort. (I've had a kid - it mangled my 'bits' and i can't hold a tampon in properly when the period is heavy - it kind of starts to slip down when I am being more active than just standing there. Now I don't need tampons anymore - period undies FTW)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Due to extremely heavy bleeding and sleep loss, I don't burn a calorie in intentional exercise for 2-4 days. I don't break 2,000 steps during the two heaviest days, and there have been times I didn't break 1,000 steps.

And I eat at maintenance.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    When I started working out regularly (especially strength training my core), I found a lot of PMS issues either completely cleared up or got a lot better. I usually don't have to do much about my workout—although there is an occasional rough day and then I just do what I feel up to. I usually eat back 50% of my calories. At that time of month, it might go up to 75, and a portion of those might be comprised of chocolate brownie Fiber One bars...
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I generally take a few days off working out, partly because I feel weak and wobbly, partly because I'm lazy and treat it like a little holiday, and partly because I have genuine fears about straining too much and shooting my mooncup across the gym. It's a real fear, honestly!

I also generally eat pretty much what I feel like, which ends up around or a bit over maintenance.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ill eat more if i truly feel i need it but i tend to think its psychosomatic, so i try to ignore it.

TOM does not affect my workout schedule.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Due to extremely heavy bleeding and sleep loss, I don't burn a calorie in intentional exercise for 2-4 days. I don't break 2,000 steps during the two heaviest days, and there have been times I didn't break 1,000 steps.

And I eat at maintenance.

Add extreme pain and cramps the first day and you've got me.

I don't even try anymore. I just eat as much as I need and curl up under a blanket with a heating pad and prescription pain meds and muscle relaxants.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    TOM can have a small impact on exercise, for example on lifting day I may feel weaker so I may deload or if its on a run day, I may dial back the pace of my runs. But I always exercise during, I feel worse if I didn't.

I notice tweaks in my strength for both TOM and ovulation week as well as a little more hangry a couple of days but it does not impact my calorie intake or at least I won't let it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of "Do what you can do, even if it's recovery."

It also depends what your training goals are. It's one thing if you are a Coast Guard rescue swimmer, an Olympic caliber runner or professional dancer and your job is basically fitness. It's another if you are the regular guy or gal who is trying to lose weight, get ready for a rec center 5K, and so on.