Ode to peanut butter

Options
I am loving it lately (great on my 50 cal tortillas); fills me up and I crave it something fierce for some reason lately! But just so hard to measure........ (And I can't see myself paying for the single serving cups). Such is life.....

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    lbride wrote: »
    I am loving it lately (great on my 50 cal tortillas); fills me up and I crave it something fierce for some reason lately! But just so hard to measure........ (And I can't see myself paying for the single serving cups). Such is life.....

why is it hard to measure?

put spoon on scales, turn scales on, scoop out peanut butter, put spoon back on scales... that's your weight?

While not difficult, this way was always more time consuming for me. Take too much, put a little back, take a little more, wipe the peanut butter off the scale...
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options

put spoon on scales, turn scales on, scoop out peanut butter, put spoon back on scales... that's your weight?

Somehow I never thought of weighing the spoon. Guess you learn something new every day. Weighing the entire jar somehow sounds funny to me, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. In my mind, I would always think I would somehow need to scoop the peanut butter off my spoon, onto a plate, onto the scale, and then put it on the wrap, which would be too many steps for me to handle!
  • Teabythesea_
    Options

While not difficult, this way was always more time consuming for me. Take too much, put a little back, take a little more, wipe the peanut butter off the scale...

'put a little back' isn't a concept i'm familiar with....?

If you scoop out too much lol.
  • lbride
    Options

Yes, that seems time consuming-- I'd just have to live with and eat whatever I scooped out originally and hope it works.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    The tips mentioned above are very handy! Especially for any foods that are calorie dense and whose contents get stuck inside a measuring spoon, such as nut butter, cream cheese, butter, salad dressing, and other condiments. Weighing foods has become a very quick and easy measuring method for me, but it took a few months of logging before I started to feel that way.
  • Teabythesea_
    Options

'put a little back' isn't a concept i'm familiar with....?

If you scoop out too much lol.

i know, it was a joke....

Went right over my head. It's still early for me. 😂
  • lbride
    Options

Somehow I never thought of weighing the spoon. Guess you learn something new every day. Weighing the entire jar somehow sounds funny to me, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. In my mind, I would always think I would somehow need to scoop the peanut butter off my spoon, onto a plate, onto the scale, and then put it on the wrap, which would be too many steps for me to handle!

You don't weigh the jar. You just put the jar on the scale. Then either turn on the scale or TARE. The weight should show as zero. Then scoop out peanut butter from the jar. The negative grams on the scale are how many grams of peanut butter you scooped out. Easiest way I've found to weigh peanut butter.

tx
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    With me its Elegy to Peanut Butter......... It's one of very few things I just can't eat....that and runny egg white....I just wretch thinking about it. It's taste and texture with me.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options

You don't weigh the jar. You just put the jar on the scale. Then either turn on the scale or TARE. The weight should show as zero. Then scoop out peanut butter from the jar. The negative grams on the scale are how many grams of peanut butter you scooped out. Easiest way I've found to weigh peanut butter.

This is gloriously easy! I am so doing this from now on. Thank you!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

You're welcome! ;)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

I just put the tortilla/bread/whatever thing on the scale, turn on, add peanut butter, add more or scrape off as needed for desired weight, eat.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

I just put the tortilla/bread/whatever thing on the scale, turn on, add peanut butter, add more or scrape off as needed for desired weight, eat.

That works. But when I'm trying to add some to my oatmeal, not so much. :laugh:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options

With apologies for the slight digression, this thread (among others) has discussion of this and similar tips to make weighing food quicker/easier:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive

Don't worry, the title is intentional clickbait. (I'm sorry for that. Kinda. ;) )
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I gave up and just bought "Jif to go" single serving packets. It's just too easy to ignore the scale with a jar of peanut butter in front of me!

That's a great solution!