Anyone else training for a marathon and trying to lose a few lbs?

Options
Just looking to see if there is anyone else training for a marathon while also trying to lose a few lbs? I’m on my 4th week of Hal Higdon Novice 2 training plan to run the Pittsburgh marathon in May.

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I tried last year and failed, well I didn't fail, I decided it was better to fuel my runs and look on it as a mini bulk. Once you get to 13miles plus the runger is very real, so you may want to consider moving in to maintenance or even a slight surplus. I gained 8lb last year, which came off very quickly and I manage to maintain my bodyfat% which then dropped when I lost the weight.
    This year I'm eating around 2000-2500 Calories in the week (which gives me a 500-1000/day deficit, then at maintenance on Saturday (day before long run) and whatever I like (not logged at all) on Sunday, which is my long run day.
    I'm expecting to gain at least 8lb again but am looking more at bodyfat% and trying to keep that stable.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'll be training for my first marathon soon (it's in October) but have a couple of half-marathons and triathlons to get through first. I'm another fan of Higdon's training plans.

As far a losing weight goes it shouldn't be too difficult maintaining a modes deficit early on but those longer runs require fuel!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 50 mile trail race in late April and am planning on losing 16 pounds in 16 weeks. I've already lost 5 pounds with 12 weeks to go. Some will say you can't lose weight when training for a marathon because you'll be robbing your body of vital nutrients when they need them the most, but I disagree. I've done it before for my first marathon.

Fat = energy and that's what you'll be using for fuel for your runs. Just make sure you get plenty of protein and quality carbs in your diet. Lots of running is not a license for more junk food.

If you find yourself getting run down, it could be three things...not enough food, not enough sleep, or too much training. In the final 3 or 4 weeks prior to your race, I'd switch to maintenance.
  • emily8228
    emily8228 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started running the beginning of January.. I’m up to 3-5 miles per day but my legs are constantly hurting. Any suggestions? I’d love to run the Pittsburgh marathon but I’m not sure if I’ll be ready in time to do it! This summer I’m focusing on 5ks and 1/2 marathons. Hopefully by next year I can do the full Marathon!
  • BrindleRun
    BrindleRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    emily8228 wrote: »
    I just started running the beginning of January.. I’m up to 3-5 miles per day but my legs are constantly hurting. Any suggestions? I’d love to run the Pittsburgh marathon but I’m not sure if I’ll be ready in time to do it! This summer I’m focusing on 5ks and 1/2 marathons. Hopefully by next year I can do the full Marathon!

Are you running every day? Maybe a rest day will help, also make sure your stretching before and after and foam rolling helps there are videos on YouTube about it and it really helps with sore muscles.
    Last summer I ran a 10 mile race, 2 half marathons and a 25k tail run. There are a lot of fun races in the summer. Good luck and happy running.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I was able to hold a deficit up until my mid-week longer run also hit double-digit miles (total mileage was 45+/week at that point - I think I peaked at 60 or something).

There was too much hunger with 2 runs over 12 miles a week (and one around 20) and I was not recovering well with the total mileage. That was a big lesson learned for me. I can do a deficit for half marathon training but the additional mid week long run changed the game completely for me. YMMV.

I am planning another marathon in February 2020 and I will not be attempting a deficit for the last 8-12 weeks of training. I’ll be at maintenance for taper, the 3-4 peak weeks and possibly before depending on the specifics of the plan.
  • emily8228
    emily8228 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

BrindleRun wrote: »

Are you running every day? Maybe a rest day will help, also make sure your stretching before and after and foam rolling helps there are videos on YouTube about it and it really helps with sore muscles.
    Last summer I ran a 10 mile race, 2 half marathons and a 25k tail run. There are a lot of fun races in the summer. Good luck and happy running.

I am running 5x/per week and also following a strength workout program. I usually run first then lift. I will have to look up the foam rolling because stretching isn’t helping at all. Thank you for insight!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

I am running 5x/per week and also following a strength workout program. I usually run first then lift. I will have to look up the foam rolling because stretching isn’t helping at all. Thank you for insight!

That is a lot.

0 to 3-5 miles per run, 5 days a week in 3 weeks is a pretty steep progress curve. And a lot of volume very soon.

How long have you been lifting?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options

If you just started running, that is definitely too much. You are asking for some serious injuries. Back off a bit - 4 days a week is plenty for a brand new runner. Don't increase your weekly mileage more than 10%. After you've been running a few months without any real injuries, you can add another day. But at the moment, your body needs time to heal between workouts. I would definitely put off the marathon for at least a year. You'll do much better, both in training and on race day, with more time on your feet. FWIW, I went from couch to HM in 7 months and ended up with a pelvic stress fracture that took another 7 months to heal. Too much too soon is not the recipe for success.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

start with 3 x a week running and 2 x strength training (full body ideally)
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’m training for a half-marathon and trying to lose about 25 lbs. I always eat back my calories burned from a run so that I’m properly fueling my runs. I’m still losing about 1 lb a week so it’s definitely possible. I’m still doing pretty short runs though - 4 miles is my longest.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Personally I have never been able to lose while training for a full (halfs yes) and have done 3 of them. My plan for my fourth in the fall is to get my body NOW in peak shape to maintain during training. Just to add a side note, I also spin for cross training twice a week and lift weights fairly heavy 3 times a week to also supplement my goals.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The other thread up there was pretty much the same question. I trained for a full and accidentally lost a lot of weight, I ended up having to go to a weekly buffet to survive the highest mileage weeks of the plan. Some people gain though because of runger. I’m the type of person that running suppresses my appetite. So it will either be easier or more difficult to lose weight lol. I wouldn’t try eating at a calorie deficit too late in the game though, you’ve gotta fuel those long runs.