bulk or cut ?

Options
hi everyone,
im 5,9 and 141 lbs below is an attached flexed vs relaxed pic of me
I really want to be able to see my abs better without flexing and to be able to see them no matter what lightning I have
shall I cut my calories and do cardio to try and lose wight
or
shall I eat more calories and lift 3 times a week

open to suggestions if I do more compound lifts what lifts shall I do and how many reps?aehueecq6vil.jpg
sahg1eetdd0r.jpg

Replies

• patrickrea2002
    patrickrea2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ok thanks how long should I do this for ?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    nqvtzogaonc8.gif

JK. Until you reach the look you want, basically.

If you find you've put on too much fat (if you chose to eat over maintenance), then you'll have to cut. But I wouldn't worry about that right now. If you get to that point, come back and ask more questions.
  • patrickrea2002
    Options
    ok I hear you I want to be a bit heavier anyways
    what would you recommend program- wise I got a list but Im not sure which one to pick and what weight and how many reps of each
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    ok I hear you I want to be a bit heavier anyways
    what would you recommend program- wise I got a list but Im not sure which one to pick and what weight and how many reps of each

What, if anything, do you know reference the compound lifts (squat, bench, deadlift)?
  • patrickrea2002
    Options
    Yeah
    But im not sure how many reps I should do
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Yeah

I started with Stronglifts 5X5. It tells you what exercise, what weight, and how many reps. I downloaded the app, did what it told me to. It will be easy at first, but stick with it, it gets hard pretty quickly.

I now hold 4 state powerlifting records, so it worked pretty well for me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Listen to her^^. She knows what she's talking about.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yeah

The plan is 4 workouts a weak instead of 3, but I'd consider Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine if you're looking mostly for just building muscle for looks, without a particular concern to any particular strength goal.
    https://www.jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf
  • patrickrea2002
    Options
    Ok thanks, I’m not sure what kind of things I should be eating
  • patrickrea2002
    Options
    I eat healthily in general I don’t drink fizzy or sugary drinks and I don’t eat fatty foods but I’m not really sure what exactly I should eat my default thing to go to eat is pasta salad is this wrong what else should I be eating
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I eat healthily in general I don’t drink fizzy or sugary drinks and I don’t eat fatty foods but I’m not really sure what exactly I should eat my default thing to go to eat is pasta salad is this wrong what else should I be eating

All food is good food. Make sure you're getting enough protein, about 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass. Other than that, just eat.