Do I HAVE to drink protein drinks?

Options
Hi,

I'm just wondering if protein drinks are a necessity. There's days when Ill drink one and after all the food at the end of the day, I'm over about 30-40g and I could have done with out it. I prefer food and for example, there's been times I'd just eat a can of tuna and some milk after a work out. I'd rather drink one before I go to bed/evening if I didn't reach it that day.. Thoughts? Are there ingredients in protein drinks I might need to help post workout?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AthenaBosi wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just wondering if protein drinks are a necessity. There's days when Ill drink one and after all the food at the end of the day, I'm over about 30-40g and I could have done with out it. I prefer food and for example, there's been times I'd just eat a can of tuna and some milk after a work out. I'd rather drink one before I go to bed/evening if I didn't reach it that day.. Thoughts? Are there ingredients in protein drinks I might need to help post workout?

if you rather get protein from food then do that. you dont need protein drinks unless you cant get enough protein in through food or if you are like me like them and drink them just because.someone else who knows their stuff will be along shortly im sure to tell you if protein is needed post workout or not
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    If you prefer food that is perfectly fine. I only use protein drinks when I'm far from hitting my macros, I don't drink them just for kicks. I do usually have a small one after a workout, but that is for convenience because I can't have a meal right after and I'm usually hungry.

Getting all your protein from whole food sources is great, not a problem at all. I do think it's a good idea to have some carbs post workout, so not just tuna. Milk has carbs, that's good.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If you prefer food that is perfectly fine. I only use protein drinks when I'm far from hitting my macros, I don't drink them just for kicks. I do usually have a small one after a workout, but that is for convenience because I can't have a meal right after and I'm usually hungry.

Getting all your protein from whole food sources is great, not a problem at all. I do think it's a good idea to have some carbs post workout, so not just tuna. Milk has carbs, that's good.

they say chocolate milk is the best for post workout,dont know why but thats what they say lol as for drinking protein just for kicks,I drink them because I like them but most days it helps me to reach my goal or be just a tad over. which is fine too.
  • AthenaBosi
    AthenaBosi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @ExistingFish carbs. Got it, thanks :)

@CharlieBeansmomTracey I've also seen somewhere that it's good to get sugar in too on post, so maybe that's why? I dunno tho. I mean it explains why most pre-made protein shakes are sweet but I could be wrong (which is why I'm not a big fan). 🤷🏻‍♀️ I'll add some fruit so I get the carbs and sugar lol

Thank you!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Protein powders/shakes/drinks are called "supplements" for a reason. They exist to supplement your diet/nutrition program if you require more protein than you can easily get via whole foods. They are convenient, blah blah blah...but they are not required. People have been on this earth for a very long time and bodybuilding, strength training, etc existed long before there was a GNC at every mall to sell supplements to people.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You're a adult and don't need a protien drink.

We only know you consume a can of tuna and some milk.

Not all protien drinks are the same and we don't know which brands you are considering.

Could you benefit from one or two servings?

Maybe, from the info you gave.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Whey is just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets if you're having difficulty doing so otherwise. It's just a bi-product of cheese making...it's no different than chewing your protein...it's just easy and convenient. It doesn't have any kind of magical properties that will do anything any other protein source will not do.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Whey is just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets if you're having difficulty doing so otherwise. It's just a bi-product of cheese making...it's no different than chewing your protein...it's just easy and convenient. It doesn't have any kind of magical properties that will do anything any other protein source will not do.]/b]

99% of whey will have some leucine, isoleucine, and valine in the area of recommended dosage per serving. Not all protein(specifically protein from other sources other than meat) has a good source of leucine to include with every meal. Without it leucine specifically, muscle protein synthesis cannot take place.

So some protein shakes actually might have some more to offer than just a general protein source for certain people :smile: .