Sodium

Options
I started using this website to track my calories to start losing some weight which has really helped me determine what food to eat and when I can but, now I'm looking at my sodium intake and I had no idea how high it was! Now, this is purely my fault and I will have to reduce it as well as I reduce my weight. I have some adjustments that I can do immediately (they stick out like sore thumb!) but others will have to be based on my consumption of food. As I lose weight, I will require less food to keep me going which will reduce the amount of food I eat and reduce the amount of sodium I consume.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You don't need to reduce sodium to cut weight. But what are you defining as high? Honestly, i run around 5000mg a day as i workout and need sodium.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How high is high?

Unless you have a medical issue, your sodium isn’t a huge deal. I try to Target 3500-4500 per day.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I stressed about it when I first started too, just because it's hard to ignore when it's red every day. I removed it, so that I track sugar in its place. I don't even want to see it. Unless you have high blood pressure or your doctor wants you to reduce it, maybe you can just adjust what you track?

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    If you are a post procedure cardiac patient they will prescribe reduced sodium. Otherwise, if you have a water retention problem you should reduce sodium. Other than that, higher is better than lower. Remember, sodium is your go to electrolyte - you know, the thing that keeps you from dying when you over exercise.