When you're in a funk

Options
I was curious what everyone does when they get in funk. What kind of things help you get back on track and push forward to the next day?

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Is it a food funk or an exercise/activity funk?

When I feel "off" I usually try to figure out why. Either way I may give myself a mental health day (which might mean that I don't exercise or I maybe eat over my allotment). But then I would require myself to get back on track the next day.

Sometimes I tell myself that I'm being dramatic and remind myself that I will feel a lot better after my work out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I fall back on the habits I have built. I know I’ll cycle out of the funk, so I mostly just push through.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I fall back on the habits I have built. I know I’ll cycle out of the funk, so I mostly just push through.

^ Yes, habits! I had to create habits out of logging my food and my exercise. I've had depression since I was a kid so funks are more often than not; even with treatment. So, these habits are things I do without much consideration anymore. Then, I can focus on other things that may help me get out of the funk frame of mind.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well I would go for a walk but since the snow storm it's not possible. I tried literally walking in circles in the house just doesn't bring the same satisfaction. Walking is the only safe exercise for me because of health issues.
  • aliciamcielesz
    aliciamcielesz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I start to go into a funk when I PMS. Sorry for the TMI but when my hormones start to go all whacky (gotta love being a female) I start getting a little down on myself, I'm lazy and tired and want to just say screw it and eat whatever I want. I have to just take a mental minute, envision myself being in a bikini and a pretty kimono with a nice hat on a gorgeous beach holding my husband's hand, and I'm so happy. Not only with myself but with my life and how I feel about how far I've come. Once I think about that I get a little motivated and I push through the funk. It's very difficult especially with clinical depression, but it's definitely doable.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I am very good at keeping the same schedule so that when I fall into a funk...my body keeps doing what it is disciplined to do.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I start to go into a funk when I PMS. Sorry for the TMI but when my hormones start to go all whacky (gotta love being a female) I start getting a little down on myself, I'm lazy and tired and want to just say screw it and eat whatever I want. I have to just take a mental minute, envision myself being in a bikini and a pretty kimono with a nice hat on a gorgeous beach holding my husband's hand, and I'm so happy. Not only with myself but with my life and how I feel about how far I've come. Once I think about that I get a little motivated and I push through the funk. It's very difficult especially with clinical depression, but it's definitely doable.

Ugh don't you hate it? The older I get the worst my PMS has gotten I think I'm going to bring it up at my next doctor appointment. I get so depressed its horrible!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    everjcjv wrote: »
    Well I would go for a walk but since the snow storm it's not possible. I tried literally walking in circles in the house just doesn't bring the same satisfaction. Walking is the only safe exercise for me because of health issues.

I’m sure you could find walking exercise videos on YouTube. It’s great for at-home workouts.

When I’m in a funk, pushing through definitely helps the most. If I don’t keep at it then the funk just lasts longer.
  • proudmomma86
    proudmomma86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What helps me is making sure i keep busy. When i am out and about i tend to not want to binge as easily. When im in a funk to where i dont want to do anything i have to force myself to workout otherwise the days will add up. Thankfully i enjoy my workouts so it doesn't happen to often
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options

This. I cannot rely on motivation, since I work out after work, and rarely get excited to do that when the alternative is going home. But, I read on one of these boards yesterday that motivation rarely predicts how a workout will go. So true. So I go. It's what I do. And then I find myself out of the funk, good habits intact.