How many calories women on

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    5’ 2.5”, currently maintaining 130 pounds on 1600 calories a day. A couple/2-3 times a month I go over that by a bit. Been maintaining for 4 months.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    I am 5’4 and currently at 139. I am trying to get to 120. I have been losing 1.5 per week since January 1 at 1200-1380 calories. I’m sure a lot of this was water wait initially. I expect closer to 1 pound per week moving forward.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Im on 1.200 a day very hard managed yesterday though

1200 calories was hard because it is too few calories for most women.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Few women ACTUALLY need to be on 1200 to lose. I am 5'1 and loosing at 1350. and i don't actively exercise other than walking.

Consider if you have selected to quick a rate of loss (2lbs is only recommended if you are obese - i fyou are loosing "vanity pounds" than no more than 0.5-1lb a week).

Remember to eat back your exercise calories. that is how the program on MFP works. and the sedentary setting is for nearly bedridden people most people who are not ill would select a higher level.

To expand on this, people who use MFP to set their calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 57 Member
    I'm 30, 5'7", lightly active, and currently losing 1 pound a week on 1700 calories. I get 200-300 additional on days I exercise, which I eat if I'm feeling hungry. I usually eat ~1400 during the week so that I have extra banked for the weekend so I can indulge in some more caloric meals and have some wine, which I try not to drink during the week. ;) I'm 175 right now, once I'm down to 150-160 (high end of healthy BMI range) I'll reduce my loss to 0.5 per week.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    SFJULES66 wrote: »
    It's day 24 and I just re-adjusted my calorie goal because it may have been too low. I was doing 1200/day. I'm 5'8" and have 10 lbs to lose, lightly active and workout 2x/week. It's been brought up to 1430. I hope I will still lose.

Honestly, this makes me cringe.
    I’m 5’9, female and 57 years old. I exercise about 2-3 hours per week usually, but for the last couple of months have gotten very little exercise.
    I lost the 1st 12 lbs by eating 1800 calories a day, or about a net of 1400 calories. The last 10 lbs I fumbled with miserably for a long time, but I ended up losing it by eating about 1600 calories, or a net of 1300 calories.
    If I ate 1200 calories gross total, I honestly think I would pass out.😂
    I ate 1400 per day total for a couple of weeks, and was a grouch the whole time.
    I always been afraid of losing skin elasticity and muscle tone by going too low, like several of my female relatives have. Once you lose skin elasticity, it doesn’t ever come back completely.
    In my opinion, slower is better with vanity pounds.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    2400 calories!!! losing a pound a week.

5'10, 205lb
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2019
    It's day 24 and I just re-adjusted my calorie goal because it may have been too low. I was doing 1200/day. I'm 5'8" and have 10 lbs to lose, lightly active and workout 2x/week. It's been brought up to 1430. I hope I will still lose.

Honestly, this makes me cringe.
    I’m 5’9, female and 57 years old. I exercise about 2-3 hours per week usually, but for the last couple of months have gotten very little exercise.
    I lost the 1st 12 lbs by eating 1800 calories a day, or about a net of 1400 calories. The last 10 lbs I fumbled with miserably for a long time, but I ended up losing it by eating about 1600 calories, or a net of 1300 calories.
    If I ate 1200 calories gross total, I honestly think I would pass out.😂
    I ate 1400 per day total for a couple of weeks, and was a grouch the whole time.
    I always been afraid of losing skin elasticity and muscle tone by going too low, like several of my female relatives have. Once you lose skin elasticity, it doesn’t ever come back completely.
    In my opinion, slower is better with vanity pounds.

I honestly appreciate your comment.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Glad you’ve increased the calorie goal but it still may be low for your height. With only 10 lbs to lose, a goal of 0.5 lb/week or recomp might be a better goal.

FWIW I’m 5’2 and my maintenance cals right now are just under 2000 since I’m less active than usual. I lost most of my weight eating between 1600-1900 cals.
  • SFJULES66
    I’d like to learn about recomp. Can you recommend a good learning source? Thanks for your feedback!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I’d like to learn about recomp. Can you recommend a good learning source? Thanks for your feedback!

This should help you get started.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Cheers, h.
  • tinamae_vols
    tinamae_vols Posts: 42 Member
    @evedaniels93 read through this thread. Lots of good info here.
  • SFJULES66
    edited January 2019

Agreed.