Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Mental Block on deadlift 1RM

2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I am nowhere near your level but I’ve had a massive block with my squats. Got to a certain weight, “knew” it would be heavy and cut the depth or just failed. My coach put in a tonne of tempo and paused squats at just below my mental block point and it did actually help. Not saying I’ll ever be the best back squatter (no issue at all with the front squats bizarrely) but it took my focus away from that mental block. The paused, tempo squats with hip band were so hideous that the heavy close to 1RM seemed nicer! Paused or tempo dls are different and need to be much lighter I know so might not be transferable? How soon before your next comp?

Feb 16. I do some deadlift variations, so maybe those will help.
  • quiksylver296
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Dont think. Walk up and do. The more I think about things the more I over think it and in the end the mind wins.
    Just like long distance running. You have to shut the brain off and just run otherwise you will fail within limits of course.

Like the new profile pic, @crazyravr. What is that delicious-looking libation?

I get the concept. But it's harder in practice. :/
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,537 Member
    You’re quite close to your comp, so this is one of those horrible situations where you’re going to be worrying about it in the lead up. But I bet you’ll get to the comp, refreshed after the deload week, get irritated that this has bothered you then go out and just smash it. You KNOW you can do it and that will kick in with all the adrenaline on the day. We’re cheering you on and you got this!

(And I’m also slightly terrified by how much you can lift!)
  • quiksylver296
    You’re quite close to your comp, so this is one of those horrible situations where you’re going to be worrying about it in the lead up. But I bet you’ll get to the comp, refreshed after the deload week, get irritated that this has bothered you then go out and just smash it. You KNOW you can do it and that will kick in with all the adrenaline on the day. We’re cheering you on and you got this!

(And I’m also slightly terrified by how much you can lift!)

That's what I'm hoping for! :p

My mind-space is a little better than it was yesterday. I'm going keep visualizing, keep hard-rocking, and try to quit over-thinking and hope for the best.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    when was your last real deload?
  • quiksylver296
    lenkearney wrote: »
    when was your last real deload?

Reloads are cycled into my training plan by my powerlifting coach, as needed.