My turn for a dumb question...

Options
Ok. So perhaps this is a silly question but I need to know the answer.

Since mid-May, my only form of cardio had been walking. I began using a fitbit in early June. Last Sunday (8/4), I got daring and decided to try C25K. I was able to complete the first day, so I have vowed to finish the entire program. I got through all of week 1 and completed Week 2, Day 1 yesterday. I walk every day (avg about 45 mins), in addition to the 3 days a week I do C25K and I strengh train 3 days per week.

So here's my question. I know the fitbit will record my walking and the running as well. However, aren't I burning more calories running than walking? I know that the fitbit makes an adjustment to MFP for my exercise.

Here's the reason I am asking. Since I started the C25K sessions, the scale has gone up about 4.5 pounds. Not really concerned about it because I have been keeping below my calories for the most part. However discouraging it is, I know that it could be muscle repair, the change in my exercise routine, water retention etc... Not giving up as I usually would, I am giving it a couple of weeks before full on panic sets in.

However, I am wondering if I am eating too few calories since I have now added in the running. MFP says I have anywhere from 200-400 calories remaining almost each day since I started C25K. But I am still above my bmr and around my tdee minus 20%. Before the running, I was doing well losing about 1.5 - 1.75 pounds per week.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ferris Bueller movie break....

Channeling the Economics teacher (played by Ben Stein)....

"Anyone? Anyone?"

You may all go back to your regularly scheduled programming....
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well I'll take a guess. As far as running vs walking and calories burned, a general rule of thumb is 100 calories are burned for every mile--it doesn't matter if you run the mile or walk it.

Have you updated your TDEE since starting the C25k? To be honest, I can't imagine there being that great of an increase to your TDEE with the C25k included. Maybe try eating 150- 200 calories on days you run and see if there are any improvements.
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to eat your calorie number every day, not too many cals over and not too many cals under, for the next week or two. If you start to lose weight, then there is your answer, if you gain (more) weight, then you will have to try something else. You could be building muscle instead of losing fat at this point in time.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did C25K a few months ago. My guess is muscle building. The first few weeks your legs are building up quite a bit. I also use a Fitbit and it will auto adjust for run vs. walk but I think the only thing it adjusts is distance, not calories. I can say this because I have the Flex and one of the settings is walking stride length and running stride length (not sure if this just for the Flex, I do not remember seeing it when I had the Zip). Surely they wouldn't need to know this if they weren't using it for something...
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring at all besides weighing yourself? I measure and weigh. Some weeks the scale goes up but I have lost a couple inches..

It is important to hit your calorie goal too. Are you eating the right food combinations?
    Have you adjusted your goals at all?

Your food diary is locked so I don't have any really good suggestions.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just spitballing, but the increase in effort has spurred an increase in eating that has not been met with a increase in logging, leading to what appears to be confounding data.

Are you weighing each and every thing that goes in your mouth, so that you can 100% rule out weight increase from diet?
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    Options
    Wow. Thanks everyone for the responses. I appreciate the time to help me out.

I am changing my tactic to eat ALL my calories this week to see how it goes. I will try and eat as close to my TDEE - 20% to see if that helps.

I typically weigh and measure everything with the exception of course when we eat out (which is not that often). I usually find stuff on the menu that will fit my calories goals for the day when we do eat out.

I try to ensure I cover fruits and vegetables each day BUT I can not have too many of these in one day as I had my gall bladder out a few years ago and my stomach has not been the same since. Too many fruits and veggies in one day sends my stomach into chaos and I am stuck in the bathroom for a full day and/or a good part of the next day. So I try to alternate, fruit one day, veggies the next. This seems to be working well as the attacks on my stomach are few and far between now,

On to measuring me. Yes, I finally did that in June and have been tracking at least every couple of weeks since then. And yes I have lost inches!!!! Last month I finally caved and bought new pants. I needed pants two sizes smaller than I had been wearing!! My new pants are now loose. So loose in fact, I can pull them up and down without unbuttoning or unzipping. Strange to see the numbers on the scale go up but I actually FEEL lighter.

Thanks for all the advice, thoughts and most importantly for listening!!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    First of all, there are never stupid questions! :)
    And to answer your question, I think eating back your calories is a great idea. That's what I've changed my strategy to since last week, and hopefully on Thursday (weigh-in) day I'll see a change! Keep up the great work.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Then if you're weighing all intake well.

I'd say you are having the same problem I did. When I started training for my tri I spiked up 5 pounds. Considering I was keeping a good eye on intake, all I can say is that it was water/fluid in my muscles. I lost all of it plus some during my taper week last week.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    Options
    Then if you're weighing all intake well.

I'd say you are having the same problem I did. When I started training for my tri I spiked up 5 pounds. Considering I was keeping a good eye on intake, all I can say is that it was water/fluid in my muscles. I lost all of it plus some during my taper week last week.

That's actually what I am hoping for....
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Running will deplete more glycogen than walking, your body is compensating for that by holding onto more water, it's normal.

Rigger
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Pedometers are meant to count steps, not speed/heartrate. That said, it's safe to assume the the FitBit is meant for counting walking steps, not running.

Don't use it for your runs, just time yourself, calculate your speed, and enter it into your diary accordingly.

If you're counting what your FitBit is telling you for your calories, and it thinks you're walking the whole time, you likely vastly undercounting what you're burning. I don't know enough about "starvation mode" from undereating, but from what I do know it's possible your body is in that range and retaining what it can.

Also, you don't build muscle by doing steady state cardio (i.e. jogging/running long distances)... you actually loose it over time by doing this kind of exercise (this is compounded by dieting), unless you're also attempting to properly stimulate growth through heavy weight training.

So you're not gaining muscle weight, I can guarentee you that. If it's not starvation mode, it's probably water retention. And if it's not either one, you might consider seeing a doctor or nutritionist.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    First off, it's hard to give afull picture as your diary is not open.

Now, that being said, in theory, you burn the same amount of calories walking as you do running. It's just with running, you are doing it in less time. Energy = abillity to do work. Work = force x distance. Power = Energy / time, therefore you are using more power not more energy in theory.

Second bit. The scale is a fickle friend. If you think about how much a gallon of water weighs, it is completely conceivable that you are retaining water. at ~7.8 lbm/ gal of H2O, you could be up 2 quarts, and that is not a hard thing to do. Premenstrual, you can have fluctuations of up to 10 pounds in some women.

Even on a normal day, if you have a lot of sodium in your diet, you will retain water. Water will follow sodium. They seem to be quite attached to each other. It's the reason many people who have hyeprtension may need to avoid salt. It keeps too much fluid in the vascular system. The increased volume causes excessive pressure against the vessel walls, and bam. hypertension.

I generally tell people that the scale should not be your primary means of measuring your progress. Look at other indicators as well. Measure your neck, chest, waist, hips, biceps, and thighs, and look for trends in where those are going. Those may give you a better indication of your progress.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I try to ensure I cover fruits and vegetables each day BUT I can not have too many of these in one day as I had my gall bladder out a few years ago and my stomach has not been the same since. Too many fruits and veggies in one day sends my stomach into chaos and I am stuck in the bathroom for a full day and/or a good part of the next day. So I try to alternate, fruit one day, veggies the next. This seems to be working well as the attacks on my stomach are few and far between now,

I had mine out a year ago... Completely understand. I can't eat "food" generally for breakfast or my stomach is a mess all day.
    I found that if I have a protein shake in the morning with a mix of greens I get a good dose of my protein and veggie intake without the awful side effects. I alternate with fruits also. :smile:
  • Leebett
    Leebett Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are saying that there is no difference in calorie burn between running and walking here is an article from runners world that contradicts that thought.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Just food for thought. Hope you find it an interesting read.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    A lot of people are saying that there is no difference in calorie burn between running and walking here is an article from runners world that contradicts that thought.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

there had better be more calories burning as i'm jogging and dying !! LOL
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    Options

there had better be more calories burning as i'm jogging and dying !! LOL

AMEN to that!!!!
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    Options
    UPDATE!!

My gut feeling appears to have been correct. Eating too few calories. Starting Monday, I committed to doing TDEE - 20% which put me eating around 1900-2000 calories per day (given my current activity levels). Just about each day since Monday, I have eaten at an average of 1950 per day. This morning I weighed in and I have lost ALL 4.5 pounds I gained PLUS 1/2 pound more!!!

I will be sticking to the TDEE - 20% method for the duration (adjusting the numbers with every 5 lb loss). This has really simplified things for me. No more guessing how many exercise calories I should eat, etc. Just one flat number to get to each day.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to listen and provide feedback!!