Noob here! need some assistance!

Options
Hello all!

Not sure this is how to introduce myself but after reading the guidlines it seems like this is a friendly and helpful community. So my story is as follows. I am currently a 36 year old out of shape work in a cubicle guy, that is totally done being out of shape and ashamed to take my shirt off outside. I was never really an active person, but over the last 5 or so years I have gained an estimated 30-35 lbs. When I was younger I could eat anything and not worry, never had a gut, but I was very low in muscle. The first time I met my wife, i had a shirt on that said "Chicks dig scrawny white guys" Needless to say she loved it but I can no longer fit in that tee shirt let alone fall into that category. I have tried it all in the past, checking out gyms and talking to buddies about what to do and how often to do it. I could never stick to anything longer then a few days maybe a week at the most.

I usually spend my free time playing video games on the computer or xbox360. I am a smoker and really want to quit. Once a week I would walk our dog and maybe go for a mile walk during break at work. I am bored and fustrated at how much belly fat I have gained. I remember being 5'11" and weighing like 150-160. I am currently at 205 and hate my body. I am ashamed everytime I look down and see my gut instead of my feet.

I have also had some minor back troubles because of playing so much video games and working at a desk with horrible posture for so many years. My wife was in a car accident last year and she also hurt her back and has been in PT for a few months now trying to recover. I honestly just want to be able to take my shirt off and not cringe, I am not overly obsessed with my appearance but I would like to be proud instead of ashamed.

So far over the last few weeks I have limited or totally cut out sugar and carbs. I would eat out often, subs, chinese and pizza. I do not enjoy sweets that much but was a big soda drinker. I also had a few too many dunkin coffee with extra sugar and extra cream. Since I stared my "diet" I have been drinking EAS advantage carb control meal supplement protien shakes in the morning. I have limited myself to only 1 dunkin donuts coffee on the way to work (still extra extra) which is usually my only sugar other then fruit. I have been drinking as much water as I can and changed over to sugarfree sprite when I get the soda cravings. What some friends have told me is to just stick with it because I do not drink beer or enjoy sweets. I also have the advantage that I love fish and almost all veggies. Salad is one of my favorite things to eat, or just raw veggies.

I just recent (sunday) weighed myself with a cheap scale and did a tape measure body fat % calculater. No idea how accurate this is but it said I was at 29%. This also made me cringe. I have a bo-flex, some dumbells, kettle bells and a really nice spin bike. I am 100% confident this is all I should need. I am not trying to become huge, but I would like to get some definition and be a little stronger. But mainly I just want to drop the gut. I would like to wait a few months before I post any pictures even though I am sure everyone here would be respectful.

I am not sure how this website works, I have a few questions and hope anyone could help me.
Can any member see my daily diet or excercise?
If not can I show people? or just friends?

I heard from a fellow gamer/bodybuilder (search Bajheera on youtube for some fitness videos) that this site was very helpful with diet and workout and I was able to add todays meals and snackes but I am not sure I set things up correctly. If someone could look at my diet for today so far you will see that i took in too much sugar, I didnt even include the dunkin donuts coffee I had this morning. Someone mentioned something about macro count and I have no idea what that is, if someone could explain that would be great.

Ok I am going to head out for a walk, while on break, hope to meet some great helpful people on MFP. Thanks for reading everyone! Have a great day!

Mike J

Replies

• sophiercook
    sophiercook Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    'The first time I met my wife, i had a shirt on that said "Chicks dig scrawny white guys" Needless to say she loved it.'

adding just for this. amazing.
  • Me_vs_obesity
    Options
    Your able to change your diary and profile privacy in the settings options.

As for exercise, only your calories burnt + 1 exercise will show up on the newsfeed (visible to friends) and in your food diary.

I'd like to just say that the calories burnt for some exercises according for MFP are greatly over exaggerated and you should try tracking calories yourself.
  • Wefita
    Wefita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome! I sent you a friends request :) You can set your diary to be public or visible just to friends it is in your privacy settings, and then diary settings. This website is AMAZING and has helped me so much! I also think the calories are over exaggerated so I got a Heart Rate Monitor to keep track of my calories burned :)
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Although I am older then you, we are about the same height and I was your weight when I started working at this back in April. I hear you loud and clear! I am still not at the point where I can take my shirt of and not cringe, but I am feeling better every day.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to go with the MFP default setting for a sedentary activity level. There is no need to completely cut out sugar and carbs. If you go overboard, this will never stick, so sugar and carbs in moderation are fine. More important then that is that you become and remain very active. If you can afford to join a gym, do it and go often. A combination of cardio and strength training will give you the most bang for your buck. If you can't afford it or choose not to, there are plenty of things you can do on your own in and outside. Just keep moving.

If you stick (or stay close) to your calorie allotment every day and are active, you will have unbelievable results and will be wearing that shirt again. Good luck!
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it.. I was 240 when I first started, 199 now. Added you!