A Boxer Tries Running

Options
Silent_Soliloquy
Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I’m starting a progress thread to track where I am, keep me accountable, and hopefully get some advice from all of you! If you are reading this, thank-you already! Please comment with any insight you might have.

Starting Stats: Male, 35, 155 lbs, Resting HR 57-59. Fought at Lightweight (135lbs) 2001 till 2004. I have done the odd Welterweight fight 2011 till 2015; but I’ve basically become a fat lump since.

October 1, 2018 I was 186.3 lbs. Winter depression was beginning and it just *felt* worse this time… I knew I had to get serious, so I have been on a super strict diet and lost 30 lbs in 100 days. With 3 days fasting and sauna was able to hit 15 Kg lost on day 101. Latest-gen InBody suggests I only lost 0.7 lbs of muscle in my 30 lbs loss, which was super encouraging.

Me last summer:
x44dgj4hpeh9.jpg

Me now... but notice all my toning is upper body (forgive the stubborn belly fat...maybe I should cut another 15..ugh)

6qansrzi6zwf.jpg

hq1f6256etfk.jpg

zfjutg066e40.jpg

Obviously, I’m no stranger to cutting weight; but this has really given me “diet exhaustion”. I need something fresh… something different. A friend suggested I join them on a 15K on March 30’th. Initially I had wanted to cut at least to welterweight by April 1… but this run stuck with me as a side goal.

Closest I come to “running” is warming up on a treadmill before boxing or weights. Everything I do is built around 3-minute bursts of energy. I have NO endurance. So this seemed new, seemed fresh, and if we are being 100% honest; mentally, I really need to be able to eat more, and thought running is a good way to earn some oatmeal or something.

I have 60 days to “train”. I don’t even know what my goal should be. I will be doing some baseline workouts to determine my starting fitness over the next few days. Any advice is so appreciated, especially from anyone who runs 10K or more.

Thank you for anyone who got to the end of this!

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Options
    So i did a baseline 5k last night on the treadmill. Set the incline to 4%, the speed to 6 mph and thought; how hard can this be? Just keep going, right?
    Endurance is very different than power; and I remained humble and just kept plodding along.

I did my half hour 5k, without any walking, turned the machine off, and went to bed.

This a.m.; legs feel great, no soreness except (oddly) in my outer abs. I'm thinking "if running finally gets me abs I'm going to laugh about this for the rest of the year".

It's cold today... -11c. The wind is slinging tiny ice crystals everywhere... but the advice i got yesterday in my first thread was consistent: try a run outside. So I did... it did not go well at all.

Varying hills? Yeah I was unprepared for that?
    Strong winds? Made a much bigger difference than I thought.

And i had a jacket, but guys I was *Aching* cold. My hands hurt even with gloves.

I pulled together a painful 2.1 miles in 24 minutes.

And that brings us up to today (jan 24 2019).

pc7obikbiyct.jpg
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I’m a runner who’s trying to get into boxing for cross train, perhaps you could give some advice to a boxing beginner too :)

Pretty much echo what the poster above said. Here’s a Hal Higdon 10mile training plan for beginner runners. The plan is across 10 weeks, which is typical for a beginner plan. I know you don’t have 10 weeks, perhaps see if you can start at wk2. https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/15k-10-mile-training/novice-15k-10-mile/#training-schedule

A lot of “endurance” is in the head. As an experienced boxer your cardiovascular fitness is probably good - but mentally you are not used to sustained efforts. Build in some short walking intervals as you run - just don’t stop. This helps train your mind.

Music helps many folks, beginner and experienced runners alike. Find music at a rhythm of 165-175 bpm and just match your cadence to it. You’ll be surprised at how it helps lower your perceived efforts.

As to what to expect, McMillan running has a good running calculator that projects your finishing pace. Perhaps start with running 1 mile or 3 miles and plug that into the calculator to project your pace at 2, 5 and 10 miles, and train to that pace, adjusting along the way. 60 days to go from beginner to 15k is not a small feat so don’t expect to beat the average pace, your goal would be to finish the course!

Lastly, you mentioned nutrition. Based on your detailed description of your weight loss journey, I imagine fueling for running is a big concern - you feel like you want to eat more but fear eating too much. Look into how much calories running burns at yor weight, and do not eat excess calories over that weight if you want to maintain your weight loss progress. Quite honestly, I personally feel that when I train for a race, I need to put my weight loss goals on pause. But that’s a personal choice.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    It's cold today... -11c. The wind is slinging tiny ice crystals everywhere... but the advice i got yesterday in my first thread was consistent: try a run outside. So I did... it did not go well at all.

Varying hills? Yeah I was unprepared for that?
    Strong winds? Made a much bigger difference than I thought.

And i had a jacket, but guys I was *Aching* cold. My hands hurt even with gloves.

I pulled together a painful 2.1 miles in 24 minutes.
    pc7obikbiyct.jpg

Haha, welcome to outdoor running! So, dress like it's 20 degrees warmer than it is and at -11, you need to be dressed pretty darned warm but in layers so that as you warm up, you can take one off. A cold weather form fitting athleting shirt under the jacket will help tremendously. Throw a pair of mittens over the gloves and that will help keep your hands warmer - little hand warmer packets will help even more. Wool socks will help keep your feet warm and dry. Get a buff to keep your neck and face warmer. Polarized sunglasses will help keep the wind out of your eyes - my eyes water so much in wind that this helps me out. You certainly don't have to buy the most expensive stuff just be sure what you buy is breathable. Cross country skiing gear is perfect because it is meant to be unrestrictive, breathable and warm.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Mittens dude. Mittens. You're used to boxing gloves so you should already be sort of used to them. Mittens are order of magnitudes warmer than gloves.

Also, wind is always a killer but especially in the cold. I think you'll find winter runs without wind actually quite enjoyable. You won't get nearly as cold without wind, either.

Layer up. I took off because of the strong wind today but at that temp I would be wearing 3 layers (tech tee, plus long sleeve heavier tech top, plus sweat wicking hoodie/balaclava) and a light windbreaker.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    MITTENS!

I've yet to find gloves that actually keep my hands warm. I like ones with a flap so I can open/close them because they kind of heat/cool throughout the run a few times.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Options
    @debrakgoogins Thanks so much; i have a pair of Aasics Gel Quantum 180's that feel really nice. soft and easy. I'll go to Fleet Feet soon as ask them about sizing etc.

I have put the Hal Hidgins plan into Excel and shifted the days so my long run is saturday and my rest day is Sunday. That means i'm starting on day 4 or 5 of week 1, so not so bad.

As long as the running feels good, is there a reason or benefit to walking?

@mengqiz86 I'd love to share boxing tips. It's definitely a sport where you want to start exactly right or you will establish poor habits. things like angles of the wrist upon impact won't matter at all for the first 3 months; until you get your power dialed in and next thing you know you injure yourself. But by then, if poor form is already established you will revert back to it when you are tired and injure yourself over and over.

as for the mentality of sustained effort; you're exactly right ... i need to find my zen. it is mentally hard to keep plodding along even though it's not like it hurts yet or anything. I'll start making a favorites playlist.

Nutrition... I take my food pretty seriously, and i plan to basically eat back my running calories and beyond that keep everything else the same.

@DX2JX2 and @fitoverfortymom ... I'll be getting some mittens. i used to have a pair of those flap over kinds, for boating. i actually really liked them.

Thanks again everyone who has stopped in. i hope i can keep this going in a positive direction for the next 9 weeks !

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the dark side, there’s no going back now 😉
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    If you can sing a song without being winded and there’s no pain, you can keep running. If you can’t, do the walk intervals. Walk/run intervals let you gradually build your cardio and muscular endurance. You might feel good while you’re running but if you overdo it, you’ll feel it later!
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Welcome to the dark side, there’s no going back now 😉

Truth.
    Great advice on here. I’m glad you posted. I’m taking notes.

I run to be outside. I used to do HIIT on the treadmill years ago. I’ll never (voluntarily) go back to a treadmill.
    Because I’m in it for the experience rather than a training goal, all I ever really think of is to push my limits, just a little, every time. So far that’s worked really well to build endurance and increase mileage.
    That’s my tiny bit; these guys are the real experts 👆🏻

PS. I’ll always slow down to see something interesting. Not sure I’d make a 15k. Especially one with cookies.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    @wanderingarcher I am not an expert by any means, lol. I am very new to running. I just shared the wisdom others shared with me that helped me improve.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @debrakgoogins I’m glad you shared! I always happy to learn.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

As long as the running feels good, is there a reason or benefit to walking?

Not really. For conditioning, it's actually better to slow down your overall pace so you don't need a walk break and can run the entire distance. If you don't need the break, don't worry about it. That said, watch your overall mileage and make sure that you're increasing at a gradual rate to reduce the chance of injury. General rule of thumb is to increase no more than 10% per week though if you're just getting started don't worry so much about your percentage increase and instead focus on the number of times you run per week or adding one mile to each of your runs, etc.

For beginners, longer and slower is better than shorter and faster to start. Once you build yourself up to some consistent mileage (about 20ish miles per week), then you can consider making one session per week speed-based.

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Options
    -42 windchill here today ... I have modified the hal hidgons program into an excel and today is cross training anyway. Tomorrow is my "distance" run, if it's worse than -30 I'll just have to use the treadmill.

Thanks everyone for joining in. I hope there will be an uptick in mileage etc soon...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    -42 windchill here today ... I have modified the hal hidgons program into an excel and today is cross training anyway. Tomorrow is my "distance" run, if it's worse than -30 I'll just have to use the treadmill.

Thanks everyone for joining in. I hope there will be an uptick in mileage etc soon...

Yeah, cold and icy sucks. I had to figure out how to make the treadmill not stop after an hour to get some of my longer runs in.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Options
    Just finished a decent treadmill session.

Hal had me doing 2 miles. I have found on the treadmill 6mph is a recovery pace and 8 mph is where I start to huff and puff, so I bounced between 6 and 8 and came up on 2 miles feeling really great.

Did the 2 Miles in 17:35, and felt good so I kept jogging at 6... Ended up doing 3 miles in 27:40 and feel very good. Walked it off just enough to finish a 500 cal burn.

My outer abs are my weak spot for sure which is so crazy with all the speed bag work I do.

Weather is looking bad all week, -30 to -45 every day, so I'll have to keep treadmilling.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just finished a decent treadmill session.

Hal had me doing 2 miles. I have found on the treadmill 6mph is a recovery pace and 8 mph is where I start to huff and puff, so I bounced between 6 and 8 and came up on 2 miles feeling really great.

Did the 2 Miles in 17:35, and felt good so I kept jogging at 6... Ended up doing 3 miles in 27:40 and feel very good. Walked it off just enough to finish a 500 cal burn.

My outer abs are my weak spot for sure which is so crazy with all the speed bag work I do.

Weather is looking bad all week, -30 to -45 every day, so I'll have to keep treadmilling.

Unless your plan calls for speed work, I'd stick to the easy pace as it may not feel so easy as the mileage increases.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback ... I didn't consider 8 mph to be in the realm of speed work... more just, varying pace to keep other muscles activated, fight off monotony, etc.

An hour is a really long time. Even half an hour is a huge mental test for me. The mental monotony is far more challenging than the muscular aspect as of now.

We'll see when we get up to 5 or 6 miles in a few weeks ... I'll probably be whining like a baby.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback ... I didn't consider 8 mph to be in the realm of speed work... more just, varying pace to keep other muscles activated, fight off monotony, etc.

An hour is a really long time. Even half an hour is a huge mental test for me. The mental monotony is far more challenging than the muscular aspect as of now.

We'll see when we get up to 5 or 6 miles in a few weeks ... I'll probably be whining like a baby.

You said 8mph was 'huffing and puffing'.

Easy running isn't that IMO
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Options
    Thank you, this is the kind of advice I need.

I keep thinking if I'm not gasping I'm not making progress... but this is a totally different event ... and deserves a totally different training style