Comfort food at its best.

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
edited January 2019 in Recipes
Just made this and it is really good. To add some icing on the cake, a serving has as much potassium as a banana

French Onion Chicken

2 lb onion, chopped
2 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 cup low sodium beef broth
4 oz Swiss cheese (shredded or sliced)
2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbl Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 tsp thyme, dried (or 2 tsp fresh)
1/2 tsp sage, dried (or 2 tsp fresh)

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until softened and caramelized. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until darkened, but not burned. Remove onions to bottom of slow cooker. Place chicken breast on top of onions. Mix herbs and broth and pour over top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Place cheese on top of chicken and cook another 30 minutes or so until melted.

Makes 6 servings
  • Calories 338
  • Total Fat 14 g
  • Sodium 372 mg
  • Potassium 487 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 21 g
  • Protein 36 g

Replies

• shelleyblake111
    shelleyblake111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, going to make for the fam tomorrow, thank u!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy this, but my fiance wouldn't eat it. He doesn't like anything with the "french onion" flavor to it. I might make some for myself one day though.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, going to make for the fam tomorrow, thank u!

It really is good. You can make it in an instant pot or even oven (use an oven proof skillet).

For the oven, set aside onions and brown the chicken breasts on both sides first with a little more olive oil.
    Use 2 cups beef broth instead of one. Pour beef broth into skillet and bring mixture to a boil, scraping up stuck bits from the bottom of pan. Return heat to medium-low and whisk in 2 Tbl. flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Return onions and chicken and bake at 350° until chicken is done, adding cheese about halfway through.