Squats!!

Options
In your experiences, how long did it take to see improvements and increase in weight when squating?
I'm only a few weeks in to my programme with my trainer and I'm already seeing improvements in some areas (leg press and bench press) but the squats are proving to be an issue and I'm stuck on 25kg 🙁 I'm starting to dread squat days.

I just need to know it gets better!!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    If you are new to training, you should see improvements every session with minimal stimulas.

The only time I don't see this happen is if someone is responsible (typically themselves or a comercial gym trainer) and is simply trying to tire themselves out at the gym sometimes without regards to extra activities(cardio/sports) instead of applying the correct dosage of stimulas to disrupt homeostasis and force adaptation.

I question if you are indeed newer to lifting, why are you doing leg press if you can squat? Something I would ask the trainer.

While leg press can be useful in post novice training when you are building a strength base. It certainly isn't needed at this point and if your concerns is driving up your squat...then simply do squats and save the leg press for when you actually need more stimulas later on in training.
  • H_Dubbs
    H_Dubbs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Of course it will get better!!! The squat engages many muscle groups that need to work in sync and get stronger (this is different than the leg and bench press because large parts of your body are supported and not moving). It is really important to learn proper technique now so that you prevent injury when you increase the weight. You are laying a foundation, training your body and mind to follow a pattern. Once you have a solid base the gains will come.

If you give it a few weeks and still don't see improvement, you and your trainer should be able to identify what's got you stuck and work on accessory work to improve.

Keep at it, it's an awesome confidence booster.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Increase your reps. When you’re able to do 50% more reps, add 5-10% weight and drop your reps. Don’t add too much weight at a time. I can’t give you the science but it works for me.