Sugar

Options
When I first started my current diet I thought I'd get rid of ALL white sugar.
Happens that I have an addiction. And so this week I made a little brownie (eggs + almond flour + 50% chocolate + sugar/sucralose mix) with a fudge of 100% chocolate and water.
I counted about 15g of sugar per serving - is that ok? I'm trying to avoid major cravings, but does that really ruin the diet?

Replies

• DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nothing is inherently right or wrong but it’s all what works for you. If you can’t control yourself with a small portion than maybe consider other options for treats that can satisfy you. It’s all trial and error, good luck!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Erachma wrote: »
    When I first started my current diet I thought I'd get rid of ALL white sugar.
    Happens that I have an addiction...

White sugar is not the devil. Other sources of sugar are not magically healthy. They might come paired with items that are healthy (such as fiber and nutrients if you are eating whole fruit) but are just as able to cause weight gain. Fruit juice does not contain white sugar, but boy can it cause you to pack on the pounds. Concentrated apple juice is a calorie rich sweetener companies love to use that they can still tout "contains juice!" and "no added sugar!"

I'm drinking a hot cocoa right now. The packet has 140 calories, 23 g of sugar (and since the first ingredient is sugar, it's not coming from the dry milk). It's my snack until I get to have lunch. As long as I stay under my calorie limit for the day and meet my nutrition goals, I'm golden.

For sweets, I've found that I do best with sweets that require some preparation, can be imbibed slowly, and don't have open leftovers staring me in the face. Hot cocoa is one of my favorites. So are the little packets of Madelines and chocolate covered graham crackers at Starbucks (I have a set time once a week where I'm at Starbucks with my kid before his therapy appt).