Hashimoto's Disease

Options
I'm looking for inspiration from people who suffer from Hashimoto's Disease. I would love to know how you manage your symptoms and what your diet looks like.
I was diagnosed with this autoimmune disease over a decade ago, and up until the birth of my third child, 1.5 years ago, was able to manage it well.
But now I'm struggling with fatigue and hunger, and finding it difficult to lose the last of the baby weight and just feel... Idk human again. 💁
I'm weaning the babe off of breastfeeding right now, and I'm really hoping that it helps to balance out my hormones a bit more. But I think it's just going to be harder now that I'm older and my life is much busier.
Any ways, would love to connect with you if you are on this journey too!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested lately? I've been under treatment for decades and when my levels are good all is well with me. Are you still over-weight? Being at a healthy weight makes a big difference in how I feel on a day to day basis.

If you are well controlled it should take care of a lot of the fatigue.

Except...new baby. :)

Congrats. Be kind and gentle to yourself.
  • Nicki_pick
    Nicki_pick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you @cmriverside. 😊
    I am usually tested every 3 months or so. My levels have not fluctuated at all. I am not considered "over weight", but I am carrying more weight than I usually do or want to. I have about 8 lbs I'd like to lose, but mainly I need to tone up and FEEL well. My life style is very busy, my work keeps me very busy on my feet all day, and then, yes, baby. Idk... I just want to feel healthy and strong again - ya know?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for anything else? Hashimotos often goes together with low ferritin, vitamin D or B12 deficiency and a few other things.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Nicki_pick wrote: »
    Thank you @cmriverside. 😊
    I am usually tested every 3 months or so. My levels have not fluctuated at all. I am not considered "over weight", but I am carrying more weight than I usually do or want to. I have about 8 lbs I'd like to lose, but mainly I need to tone up and FEEL well. My life style is very busy, my work keeps me very busy on my feet all day, and then, yes, baby. Idk... I just want to feel healthy and strong again - ya know?

So then, sleep is out of the question? :lol:

I have to sleep, eat well and get a little exercise every day or things start going sideways both physically and emotionally/mentally.
  • Nicki_pick
    Options
    I'm not sure about ferritin, @yirara??? But my D was fine and my B was boarder line last time they were checked. 💁
  • Nicki_pick
    Options
    Lol, yes sleep is a tricky thing right now for me. Babe is going through a sleep regression, and when it's not that I have my insomnia and anxiety keeping me awake.
    Thanks @cmriverside, I guess I gotta figure out how to get some balance going.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about ferritin, @yirara??? But my D was fine and my B was boarder line last time they were checked. 💁

Borderline low? Read ip on b12 deficiency and if it fits demand injection treatment. Most people get symptomatic much earlier. And if you’re not vegan then there’s no healthy reason why it’s low. Tablets, also high dose ones don’t work as otherwise you’d absorbe b12 from food as well. Btw, b12 always needs folate next to it.
  • Nicki_pick
    Options
    Oh wow... Ok thank you so much for the information @yirara . I will definitely bring it up to my doctor during my next appointment.
  • RKIANA2018
    RKIANA2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also on B12, one doctor I saw told me to nix the numbers on the test results. She told me my B12 level should be over the top number in order to feel the best. I've as I got older and needed more of the B12 supplement in order to feel right.

I take daily iron, folate, B12, magnesium, and B-Complex in order to feel my best. Those are all of the vitamins those with hypothyroidism are low in.
  • Nicki_pick
    Options
    Thank you so much for this info @RKIANA2018!
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for inspiration from people who suffer from Hashimoto's Disease. I would love to know how you manage your symptoms and what your diet looks like.
    I was diagnosed with this autoimmune disease over a decade ago, and up until the birth of my third child, 1.5 years ago, was able to manage it well.
    But now I'm struggling with fatigue and hunger, and finding it difficult to lose the last of the baby weight and just feel... Idk human again. 💁
    I'm weaning the babe off of breastfeeding right now, and I'm really hoping that it helps to balance out my hormones a bit more. But I think it's just going to be harder now that I'm older and my life is much busier.
    Any ways, would love to connect with you if you are on this journey too!

I also have Hashimoto's. I lost 10kg last year but gained 4kg back as my Hashimoto's got worse. I would love to add you! We can do this!