Wine!

Options
Once a week I like to drink yes I said it —one bottle of red wine, it keeps me sane! But I have such guilt now because I am on 1350 cal and 100 carbs diet. And have lost from 194 to 187 since January 6th! I know seven pounds is t a lot but I want to continue to make progress does anyone else worry about this???

Replies

• suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed your wine....I enjoyed mine...just make it fit :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    tkpm9r18lccg.jpg

Haha I have that shirt! And the one for donuts.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I say once in a while is fine! Lately I've been drinking a bottle a night. So clearly I need to cut that way back!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Nope I would bank calories each day to fit it in at the end of the week. I have enough calories this week to treat myself to a frozen margarita!! :drinker:

I do this for one indulgent restaurant meal a week and a glass of wine. 150 calories less a day for 6 days gives me 900 extra calories that day.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It broke my heart, but I had to let it go, except on special occasions. I drink two glasses max a few times a month.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    aj757 wrote: »
    Once a week I like to drink yes I said it —one bottle of red wine, it keeps me sane! But I have such guilt now because I am on 1350 cal and 100 carbs diet. And have lost from 194 to 187 since January 6th! I know seven pounds is t a lot but I want to continue to make progress does anyone else worry about this???

Actually, if you've lost 7 pounds since January 6th, slightly less than 3 weeks, that's more than 2.3 pounds a week, which is quite an aggressive weight loss rate for someone of your current weight. (Don't believe everything you see on weight-loss "reality" TV shows, scammy weight-loss blogs, or tabloids! ;) ).

Most of us who've been here for a while, and lost weight, suggest no more than 1% of your current body weight per week as a weight loss target, and less than that as you get within 25-50 pounds of goal . . . and it's fine to go even more slowly than that, if it makes the process sustainable.

Losing relatively slowly is healthier (less risk of losing muscle, hair thinning, fatigue, etc.), more sustainable for most people, and is better practice for learning what it will take to stay at a healthy goal weight permanently, once you get there. :)

With respect to the wine, if your total calories for the week add up to seven times your daily goal calories (or close), you're fine on the weight loss front. If you pay attention to good overall nutrition (enough protein, enough healthy fats, plenty of varied & colorful veg & fruits for micronutrients and fiber), you should be reasonably OK on the health front.

Now, all of us know that drinking to excess is not the best choice. (I'm not saying you're doing that). But wine is compatible with weight loss when it fits in your calorie goal (as looked at from a weekly perspective), and it's compatible with good nutrition as long as you don't consume so many wine calories that you can't/don't get enough protein/fats/veg&fruit.

Since alcohol can be dehydrating, but is a high volume of liquid, you might find that it will cause your scale weight to bounce around for the next day or two. As long as you know your calorie level is right, that should just be a temporary thing, if it even happens.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It probably goes without saying but be careful because drinking can easily lead to uninhibited eating.

I can't do alcohol that often. For one thing I am bad about establishing habits based on repeated activities. For another I want to spend those calories on other things that also help my sanity. I hope the bottle of wine is the only big treat you need because it is going to be tough to fit much else into your week.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    With a bottle of wine being 600 calories, give or take, it's very easy for me to fit in. I typically have a bottle a week too, but will drink half on Friday and the other half on Saturday or Sunday. It hasn't affected me in terms of weight loss, maintenance or gaining. It's all about fitting it in and knowing your limits. :)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Wine! Gonna have some tonight. No guilt required. (I do have to watch/plan the snacks cause it can go overboard for me).
  • johndee
    johndee Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    After a long week, Friday is wine day!!! and my weigh in day. I do feel slightly guilty afterwards but I do like the idea of banking my calories for it. Bottoms up!