Endometriosis Diet

Hey babes, was recently diagnosed with endometriosis on December 19th, 2018. I’ve been slowly taking foods out of my diet, like processed foods and limiting my coffee and alcohol even though I wasn’t much of a drinker.

If anyone on here has endometriosis and have eliminated some foods out of there diet and what did they eliminate, and if you got relief. Feel free to add me or message me further info. Trying to help the pain from endometriosis which I still have some around my kidney tubes. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I have endo and have had two procedures for it. Honestly the best ongoing treatment I found was with the Mirena IUD.

As for diet, I’ve done the auto immune protocol elimination diet for other issues I have (thyroid disease). I did find that I felt better when limiting or avoiding most dairy and grains. Yogurt and rice don’t affect me either way though.

I currently don’t eliminate anything except my actual diagnosed allergies to wheat and shellfish. It’s really hard to avoid entire groups of foods and while I did feel better without grains and dairy the difference wasn’t substantial enough for me to make it worth the work to eat that way all the time.
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    BethanyLynnFitness Posts: 61 Member
    I don’t wanna do the IUD my best fiend had some bad things with that. My OB wanted me to do the pill for 3 months and have no period to see if that helps my cramp. Been on the pill since I was 18, my endometriosis cramps are 24/7 so I don’t know if doing this method will help with that but only help with the bad cramps I get when I do have my period.

Yes i do agree with you on dairy and grains. I actually have a small gluten intolerance and same with dairy so I try to at least eliminate most dairy out of my diet. I’ve also took out cauliflower and broccoli from my diet since I have some digestive issues and I know those don’t sit well with digestive issues. I’m trying whatever I can do to feel better but no luck lol. Thanks for responding :)
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I have endo and have had two procedures for it. Honestly the best ongoing treatment I found was with the Mirena IUD.

As for diet, I’ve done the auto immune protocol elimination diet for other issues I have (thyroid disease). I did find that I felt better when limiting or avoiding most dairy and grains. Yogurt and rice don’t affect me either way though.

I currently don’t eliminate anything except my actual diagnosed allergies to wheat and shellfish. It’s really hard to avoid entire groups of foods and while I did feel better without grains and dairy the difference wasn’t substantial enough for me to make it worth the work to eat that way all the time.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,860 Member
    I don't think any specific diet helps with endo in general. But if certain food causes bloating or cramps in your intestines (wholegrain, lots of veggies, pulses maybe) anywhere near where your endo is then this might trigger pain. Thus it's very individual what works for you. Also, it's worth testing different contraceptive pills for a while to see if any of them helps you. I mean, there's not one pill; they all have different hormones. I'm on long-term cycle with a pill because I have menses from hell. Not having my period means I can do everything I want and don't have to call in sick every 4 weeks. So why not discuss with your doctor and try different things. If you're in pain anyway then there's not much risk and you mind find something that works for you.
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    My OB is having me try something new for 3 months which is taking my pills and skipping my periods. I’m on week 2 of starting this, been taking BC since I was 18. Even went off for a month and still had pain with my period. I hope it helps with my cramps that I have 24/7 that’s what I’m mored worried about because my cramps I get on or around my period maybe worse then the ones I have 24/7 I just want it gone but I honestly don’t think that the 24/7 cramps will go away.
    yirara wrote: »
    I don't think any specific diet helps with endo in general. But if certain food causes bloating or cramps in your intestines (wholegrain, lots of veggies, pulses maybe) anywhere near where your endo is then this might trigger pain. Thus it's very individual what works for you. Also, it's worth testing different contraceptive pills for a while to see if any of them helps you. I mean, there's not one pill; they all have different hormones. I'm on long-term cycle with a pill because I have menses from hell. Not having my period means I can do everything I want and don't have to call in sick every 4 weeks. So why not discuss with your doctor and try different things. If you're in pain anyway then there's not much risk and you mind find something that works for you.

• mnfva6508
    mnfva6508 Posts: 2 Member
    I have endo and was diagnosed with it in Sept ‘17. I do follow a strict diet in terms of avoiding dairy, soy, and gluten but I’m allegeric to the first 2 and have celiac so I was already doing that when I was finally diagnosed I’m 28 and have had symptoms of endo since I was 11. I do know that my endo tends to be more uncomfortable when I eat corn but I think that’s just me.

I agree with the poster above who said every women’s body is different and treatment that works is different for everyone. I tried progesterone only bc pills first (which are supposed to be the best for endo) and they made me worse. I now take a combined estrogen-progesterone pill and it’s been able to control my endometriosis growth and pain (non period-those still suck). I don’t take them continuously and allow a monthly menstration to happen.

I know, for me, before I had surgery and the doctor removed some of the scar tissue and adhesions around my pelvis and the ovarian cyst that the endometriosis caused nothing helped the pain bc it was caused by physical things being a place where they shouldn’t be.
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Thanks for responding, I myself also have a gluten issue but not celiac but I do stay away for the most part from gluten and dairy. Some dairy and gluten doesn’t mix well for me.

And I do agree most woman are different when it comes to things like this. I’m not 100% sure what makes my endo flare up when I eat certain foods. Jeez you had it since you was 11? Mine started around I was 18 I do believe when I had my first kidney stone. My OB wants me to take the pill every single day and skip my periods and I feel pretty okay cramps aren’t as bad as they was since I don’t have a period. But what is bothering me the most is that I’m cramping 24/7 and he thinks it’s not due to my endometriosis. I still have some near my kidney tubes. So i wasn’t able to get a break from having these cramps but I hope something is figured out lol

mnfva6508 wrote: »
    I have endo and was diagnosed with it in Sept ‘17. I do follow a strict diet in terms of avoiding dairy, soy, and gluten but I’m allegeric to the first 2 and have celiac so I was already doing that when I was finally diagnosed I’m 28 and have had symptoms of endo since I was 11. I do know that my endo tends to be more uncomfortable when I eat corn but I think that’s just me.

I agree with the poster above who said every women’s body is different and treatment that works is different for everyone. I tried progesterone only bc pills first (which are supposed to be the best for endo) and they made me worse. I now take a combined estrogen-progesterone pill and it’s been able to control my endometriosis growth and pain (non period-those still suck). I don’t take them continuously and allow a monthly menstration to happen.

I know, for me, before I had surgery and the doctor removed some of the scar tissue and adhesions around my pelvis and the ovarian cyst that the endometriosis caused nothing helped the pain bc it was caused by physical things being a place where they shouldn’t be.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    My endo is not severe and only flairs up around my period. I usually just manage with prescription pain drugs. When I was on a strict elimination diet for allergies, I didn't feel any different. If you think about what endo is, it really has little to do with diet unless something makes you bloated and compounds the pain. If that's the case, you're looking for an elimination diet, not for an endometriosis diet. What bloats one person doesn't bloat another. Can you arrange an elimination diet with your doctor? It needs to be done methodically, not randomly eliminating foods you think are bad because people say they're bad.