My uncle died, funeral is tomorrow & I'm an emotional eater- HELP!

Options
Ugh, I just started trying to get back on track with fitness & nutrition and feel like a horrible person because I'm sad about my uncle but also preoccupied with how I'm going to react to my emotions tomorrow after the funeral, what the fallout will be, because I'm an emotional eater. How sick is that? So selfish! I need to focus on what to say to his wife & kids, encouraging them and healing but I don't want to fall off the wagon so soon with food which many times has been my comfort sadly, in the past.

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    One of the best pieces of advice I ever got on this was to take time to 'sit with' my feelings. Here's what I would do if it were me. This evening take some time and just let yourself feel. Think of your Uncle and the ways you enjoyed him and his family and good memories. Allow yourself to miss him as well. It's GOOD to feel and it's ok if it's uncomfortable. The mpre you get used to not deadening real feelings the better you will also experience the good feelings.

Now about tomorrow, You know it will be a difficult day. Have a plan. Get some exercise early to relieve a bit of stress, have a good breakfast, embrace real feelings that you have the privilege of feeling because you have a loving family, and stick a protein bar in your purse. Love to you and your family.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

My advice is if you let your emotions get the best of your eating habits tomorrow it's ok! Its one day. Just don't forget get to forgive yourself the next day!

But tomorrow laugh, cry, morn and celebrate the life he lived tomorrow with your family ❤❤❤
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    23MJ88DBFan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @solieco1 Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! Hmm, not deadening real feelings... that gives me something to think about. Actually, I think I do that a lot, maybe in part because I put everyone else before myself. Will keep your pointers handy! I've been remembering tonight about the last anniversary party we threw him and his wife. They were so cute and in love, feeding each other cake. He'd already been sick but it was before everything took a turn for the worse.
  • 23MJ88DBFan
    23MJ88DBFan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @everjcjv Thanks for the encouragement! You're right, we will be sad but should celebrate the life he lived. ❤️