Meat vs Vegan bodybuilders

Options
Hello everybody!
I have couple doubts about diets and bodybuilders nowadays.
First of all id like to try one month vegan diet, same calories and macros as when I'm eating meat.
Most people says that I won't grow muscles on vegan diet.
What's so important with meat and cannot achieve with plants ?
Apart this, I cannot find a decent bodybuilder like huge one, on vegan diet. Tho vegans seems more healthy.

Looking for honest answers not here to make both camps flame . No offence.

Have a lovely day!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I think vegans are often living overall healthier lives than omnivores. (There are no carnivore studies out there that I know of - carnivore meaning all animal products). Vegans have lower rates of smoking, drinking, drug use, tend to be more educated, better off economically and exercise more. There are a lot of confounding factors that make it almost impossible to tell if vegans are healthier than omnivores, or carnivores. Imo

If you do know of carnivore studies, I'd love to see them. All I have seen is n=1 carnivores when it comes to lifting, like Shawn Baker or that power ranger actor.... dont know his name. Omnivorous body builders is most, I would think.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    gratiansin wrote: »
    Hello everybody!
    I have couple doubts about diets and bodybuilders nowadays.
    First of all id like to try one month vegan diet, same calories and macros as when I'm eating meat.
    Most people says that I won't grow muscles on vegan diet.
    What's so important with meat and cannot achieve with plants ?
    Apart this, I cannot find a decent bodybuilder like huge one, on vegan diet. Tho vegans seems more healthy.

Looking for honest answers not here to make both camps flame . No offence.

Have a lovely day!

I would imagine that if you can get all your macros and calories necessary to both fuel your workouts and build muscle then you could accomplish your goals. I I have no idea how hard it would be to go on a bulk cycle as a vegan or how much it might cost because I am far from vegan.

Your other difficulty may be due to a lack of resources for vegan bodybuilders. Never looked but the non-vegan recipies and o the resources are plentiful.

As far as being in the top 1% of bodybuilders you would be at a disadvantage if steroids are not vegan (maybe some are?) I know there are natural and tested feds, but they can't keep up with the drug market.

If you just want to be the best "you" possible then go for it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Nimai Delgado is a vegan body builder. You can find an interview with him via Rich Roll (youtube) who is also vegan.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There are vegan bodybuilders and powerlifters. When you say you can't find them, where have you looked? There is a fairly significant online presence for both groups.

One month isn't going to be sufficient to let you see any significant results.

If people are telling you that you can't gain muscle on a vegan diet, they're incorrect.