When did you see a slow in momentum?

Options
brittlb07
brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I am in week 4 at this point. Though my goal was 1 pound per week, I’ve been losing 1.5-2 pounds per week. I started at 146 and I’m at 138. My final goal is 120 by June 1. So far I’ve rarely been exercising and just counting calories. It’s seemed fairly easy so far. Usually by now when I’ve tried to lose weight it’s been more of a struggle even with working out! I’m not sure if I’m just counting calories better or what! Maybe the extra working out last time made me bulk up or become hungrier?

Anyways, when did you see a stall or less momentum? I’m assuming the 120-130 will be hard.

I am only 5’4 thirty years old.

Replies

• skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    My stall was about halfway through. I have 100 pounds to lose, and it seems like right after I lost 50 pounds, the weight started coming off slowly. I'm thankfully almost at the 60 lb loss mark, but man is it slow. Just stick with it, no matter how frustrating it gets :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally did not stall or see a slow in my loss.

However many people find as they get closer to goal that they have to be more accurate with their logging since they have less wiggle room in their deficit, also water weight can mask progress.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal, the tighter your logging has to be. Do you use a food scale?

Yes, as suggested on this site, I purchased a food scale.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    I am in week 4 at this point. Though my goal was 1 pound per week, I’ve been losing 1.5-2 pounds per week. I started at 146 and I’m at 138. My final goal is 120 by June 1. So far I’ve rarely been exercising and just counting calories. It’s seemed fairly easy so far. Usually by now when I’ve tried to lose weight it’s been more of a struggle even with working out! I’m not sure if I’m just counting calories better or what! Maybe the extra working out last time made me bulk up or become hungrier?

Anyways, when did you see a stall or less momentum? I’m assuming the 120-130 will be hard.

I am only 5’4 thirty years old.

It slows down for some, it did me, plus being shorter my calorie window did not allow for inaccuracies, so yes a bit harder.

We can build some minimal muscle in a deficit (this tapers down though), so we don't bulk up while losing weight. What happened to you before depends on calories you were eating, protein intake and what you were doing for exercise. At a min you were maintaining muscle.

No exercise now means that your weight loss at 1.5 to 2 pounds per week is also coming with some muscle loss. Just throwing this out there, you may or may not be happy with the end result when you reach goal, slowing it down now and perhaps adding in exercise would be something to consider.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My weight loss recently started to slow from 1.5-2lbs a week to 0.5-1 lb a week. I’ve lost 45 lbs and have 25 more to go.

My weekly loss slowing down did seem to coinside with me starting to workout more consistently and vigorously. But that’s fine. Evercise is important and I don’t want to lose too much muscle mass so I’m okay with losing a little slower.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    My loss rate didn't appear to slow down on its own, until I intentionally slowed it down. Maybe I simply timed the intentional slow-downs so they happened before observable "natural" slowing? Dunno. I think it's a good plan, as others have urged, to lose increasingly slowly as goal weight approaches, no matter how it's achieved.

Researchers suggest that we can metabolize a limited amount of fat per day per pound of fat we have on our bodies. The lighter we are, the less fat available to burn. Any deficit in excess of that amount is going to be made up somewhere: Muscle, or other lean tissue, maybe fatigue/slowdown? Regardless, to me it made sense to keep the loss rate conservative, much as I wanted to get to goal soonest! :)

A weight trending app (Libra for Android, Happy Scale for iOS, various others) can help with visualizing that loss is happening, when the rate is slow, though one does need a few weeks of daily weights in it before its projections settle down to a useful trend.