Heavy vs. Light lifting

Options
Hello! I’ve been using kettlebells for the last few months since I had my baby. I use them for HIIT and tabata workouts. I’m wondering if weight loss will be accelerated if I use a heavier kettlebell instead of a lighter one?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    KB practitioner here. KB load and duration all enter into the intensity of your workout and calories expended. I personally find workouts 15 to 20 minutes with work time far exceeding recovery time to be best with a KB load taking that into account so at the end of the workout, you’ve had a very challenging workout. Spend another 30 minutes doing some brisk walking or something equivalent.

KB workouts will contribute nicely to your fitness and weight loss goals.

Good luck and be safe.

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! If the workouts feel less intense to you, you could probably raise the weights. I start raising weights on the HIIT exercises, that I can control best, not on all exercises at the same time. Protect yourself from injury.
    While lifting by itself burns less calories than HIIT workouts, shorter (or no) rest periods and a lot of movements thrown in with the weights, makes a very efficient strategy.
    Check out Ashley Conrad's Clutch Cut on Bodybuilding.com. It's one of the few workouts that they have not locked up behind a subscription. There are videos in which she explains her approach. She doesn't use fancy lifting or machines, but also a whole lot of high intensity bodyweight training.
    Best of luck!