Halo Top

Options
I see that brand discussed a good bit on this site, so when I saw them on a good sale at my local grocery today, I decided to pick some up. I got cookie dough, cookies and cream, mint chip, caramel macchiato and chocolate mocha chip. I'd 100% have picked up the lemon cake if there had been any.

Tried the cookie dough tonight. First bite was little overly sweet, but otherwise, it was good. Let it sit on the counter for about 5 min before scooping. It managed to be creamy, loads of chocolate chips and the little balls of dough were tasty. I can honestly say I liked it. Is it high end, hand scooped, ice cream? No, but it was better than pretty much any low-fat or reduced sugar "ice cream" I've tried.

Any experienced halo top eater have a reccomendation for the next flavor to try? Thinking one of the coffee ones.

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My favorite flavor used to be peanut butter cup and oatmeal cookie but I haven't bought any in quite some time. The calorie content has been steadily creeping up and the amount of fillings has gone down. I buy chilly cow and breyer's delights now. They're cheaper and taste much better IMO.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My favorite flavor used to be peanut butter cup and oatmeal cookie but I haven't bought any in quite some time. The calorie content has been steadily creeping up and the amount of fillings has gone down. I buy chilly cow and breyer's delights now. They're cheaper and taste much better IMO.

I agree. Chilly cow brownie batter is great. I still can’t figure out how halo top mint chip went from 240-280. Tastes no different to me. Same with vanilla
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal cookie and red velvet. My top 2. I tried the cookies and cream and found it wasn't worth it. Tasted pretty bland in my opinion. The mint chip is pretty decent though! Haven't tried the others you listed except the cookie dough one, which you've had. :smile:

• DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter cup and oatmeal cookie are my two favorites. Lemon cake was too cakey and not enough lemon for me. I like the Target brand (Market Pantry) low calorie pints and have been eating those more lately.
  • blujp
    blujp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My favorite is strawberry - the others are good but I'd pick strawberry over them any time.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    I didn't see Chilly Cow or the Breyer's one it my store. Will have to look. We did have something branded "Enlightened", but the nutritional info looked about the same as Halo Top and when I picked up the Enlightened, and lightly squeezed it, it felt crunchy, for lack of a better term, so halo Top it was, lol.

I don't eat ice cream that often, but am always open to a good taste to calories option.
  • nicnz
    nicnz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It's a brand only been in stores down-under here in new zealand since September last year so flavour options are a bit limited - am enjoying candy bar, peanut butter & seasalt caramel. Already been through a whole tub in a day on a couple occasions ;)
    The only other brand know of that is similar is isocream.nz - but found it rather tasteless and icy on it's own.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    nicnz wrote: »
    It's a brand only been in stores down-under here in new zealand since September last year so flavour options are a bit limited - am enjoying candy bar, peanut butter & seasalt caramel. Already been through a whole tub in a day on a couple occasions ;)
    The only other brand know of that is similar is isocream.nz - but found it rather tasteless and icy on it's own.

In Australia, there is also Fropro which is similar and Peter's do no added sugar vanilla and salted caramel. All have very similar calories.
  • KetoLula
    KetoLula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the lemon cake when they first came to my store. It was good, but I'm not much of an ice cream person (I like soft serve over frozen tubs). So I haven't tried any of the other flavors.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate flavor... rich and creamy to me. Gotta let it sit on the counter before eating it.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,802 Member
    Options
    vanilla is the best!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Update:

Chocolate Mocha Chip is noticeably better that he chocolate chip cookie dough. In fact if someone had served it to me as regular ice cream, I would not have batted an eye.
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A friend on slimming world has it, the mint chocolate chip tastes the same as any other to me! I'm going to buy some when I remember. I can budget a whole tub if needed for period comfort food. The birthday cake looked nice too, they liked the peanut butter one too.

Not quite as good as Ben and Jerry's for me, for a standard treat when I have any sense of portion control I'd probably buy B&J still, but the high cream content does up the calories a lot.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I like the dairy Pancakes and Waffles and Candy Bar flavors. The rainbow was awful and the Oatmeal Cookie tasted like sand. I prefer Enlightened because it's chunky and has actual swirls in it.