Moderately active vs lightly active

Options
I am trying to tell whether I should put lightly active or moderately active on a weight loss calculator activity level. I walk 7500-8500 steps five days a week and go to the gym 3-5 times (2x for an hour but with rests and 1-3 times for 25-30 minutes of cardio). Anyone have any ideas what activity level this makes me??

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Which "weight loss calculator" are you using?

Your exercise routine has nothing to do with your activity setting on MyFitnessPal as it accounts for your exercise after the event rather than based on your predicted average amount.
    The exercise goal in your MFP set up does absolutely nothing to your daily calorie goal, it's just an aspiration.

Without seeing the activity level descriptors on whatever site you are using I'm not sure that people's guesses are going to be helpful.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    I am trying to tell whether I should put lightly active or moderately active on a weight loss calculator activity level. I walk 7500-8500 steps five days a week and go to the gym 3-5 times (2x for an hour but with rests and 1-3 times for 25-30 minutes of cardio). Anyone have any ideas what activity level this makes me??

You've just described your deliberate exercise, but you haven't mentioned anything about your normal lifestyle activity.

Here's what the MFP Settings page uses as a guide:

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

• Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am using “ verywellfit how many calories to lose weight calculator”. I’m a student. I walk around a lot and go to the gym but am often at a desk. Thank you for your responses.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you can't follow the instructions on that site and make an estimate then choose another site, you know yourself better than anyone else.
    There's some real nonsense on there so beware...….

Don't overthink it, all you are doing is setting a rough start point.
    If you don't get the expected results after a month or more check your logging accuracy and make adjustments if required.