I broke a chair today

Options
This is my first post. Hi.

I’m 27 years old. My starting weight was 458.8. I’m now 431.3. I’ve lost 27lbs in about two months. I could’ve done better. I lowered my daily cals from 1500 to 1200.

But today I broke a chair. In public. I feel like such a loser. I don’t know if I’ll ever get to where I want to be. I just want to be normal. I want to date and stuff. I want to be respected at my career and be an inspiration. I don’t want to be just some fat guy who breaks chairs.

I’m just looking for someone, anyone to tell me I’m gonna be okay and I’ll get to where I want to be.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's going to be o.k. :) You will meet your goals. Please increase your calories. You should be eating 1800 calories. Remember that you need food for your muscles (heart, and so on). :heart:
  • davani09
    davani09 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you feel so demotivated, but going to 1200 calories is just a recipe for disaster. Men shouldn't go under 1500 calories anyway. At your weight you can lose 2-3 lbs a week eating much more than that. 27 lbs in 2 months is extremely fast. You need to slow down or you will crash and burn, and eating so few calories will cause you to binge because you will find it too hard to eat that low, and you shouldn't eat that low. You didn't put the weight on in a few months, so it won't come off in a few months. As a lot of people say here, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. You will be ok and get where you want to be by losing a sensible amount of weight each week (2-3 at your current weight), and not way under eating.

How come dr now on 600lb life tells his patients to eat a 1200 calorie diet then?
  • davani09
    Options
    OneRatGirl wrote: »
    I'm 27, female, starting of 326lbs. Probably not much in our BMIs, so I get you.

Put your calories for a 1-2lb loss (500-1000 calorie deficit per day). Don't go under the 1000 calorie deficit. It's much more sustainable, and healthier even when morbidly obese. My set deficit is only 500 per day, I allow myself to be under that by about 500 calories, if I want. I've got a history of over-restricting until I can't manage it, then giving up. I'm not eating back any exercise calories right now (unless there was a lot perhaps). I was under by 700 a couple of days, I tried to balance that by eating closer to my goal a couple of days. And honestly, this is the easiest I've ever found it because I'm being sensible and not depriving myself. I'm going to do the diet breaks I've seen recommended (eating at maintainance for 10-14 days) occasionally to keep it easy.

Better to lose 50lbs a year and keep it off, than lose 50lbs in 3 months and regain it all. And healthy loss of 1-2lbs a week, you'll still be 50-100lbs lighter by next year, with a break or bad week or two.

I've broken chairs when far lighter, healthy weight people can break a chair. And frankly, it's a chair, it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. Are you ok? A chair can be replaced, you can't!

I need to lose 300lbs in 2 years. I can’t take things that slowly
  • davani09
    Options
    davani09 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you feel so demotivated, but going to 1200 calories is just a recipe for disaster. Men shouldn't go under 1500 calories anyway. At your weight you can lose 2-3 lbs a week eating much more than that. 27 lbs in 2 months is extremely fast. You need to slow down or you will crash and burn, and eating so few calories will cause you to binge because you will find it too hard to eat that low, and you shouldn't eat that low. You didn't put the weight on in a few months, so it won't come off in a few months. As a lot of people say here, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. You will be ok and get where you want to be by losing a sensible amount of weight each week (2-3 at your current weight), and not way under eating.

How come dr now on 600lb life tells his patients to eat a 1200 calorie diet then?

Because that person is under a doctor's care and the doctor is responsible if something happens. Are you under a doctor's care? No? Then do what people are recommending. Or, go see a doctor and have them monitor you. It takes time to lose weight and learn new, good habits. Read the success forums on here. Some have lost 300 lbs.

I did see my doctor and told her what I’m doing and she said it’s fine. 1200cals is fine when you’re sedentary and when you weigh over 400lbs. When I work out again I’ll increase. But I need to meet my goal by the time I’m 30.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Because that person is under a doctor's care and the doctor is responsible if something happens. Are you under a doctor's care? No? Then do what people are recommending. Or, go see a doctor and have them monitor you. It takes time to lose weight and learn new, good habits. Read the success forums on here. Some have lost 300 lbs.

I did see my doctor and told her what I’m doing and she said it’s fine. 1200cals is fine when you’re sedentary and when you weigh over 400lbs. When I work out again I’ll increase. But I need to meet my goal by the time I’m 30.

Why, what happens when you're 30?
  • davani09
    Options

It’s my personal goal. I’m going to meet it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

How much training does your doctor have in weight nutrition and does she specialize in seeing obese patients? Doctors, typically, have little to no training in nutrition unless they go out of their way to get it. The situation that you're talking about on My 600lb life is likely vastly different to yours with regards to the medical care that they're getting.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »

Because it's a TV show and dramatic changes = better ratings = more $$$$. Remember that stupid "Biggest Loser" show? Nothing portrayed there was even remotely healthy, but people did it so they could lose weight fast (regardless of health or safety) and network makes more money

DUDE. You lost 27 pounds in TWO MONTHS. Slow down. You will get there. You are doing great so far. Feel free to add me if you want a buddy on here.

Agree with above, although I can tell that you're going to do what you want to do no matter what anybody says. Most doctors don't know a lot about dieting so you can't always go by a doctor's o.k.

Good luck to you. If you keep your focus and commitment, you will lose the fat. When the 1200 per day gets too hard to manage, remember that you can eat more and still lose the weight.
  • davani09
    Options

It’s my personal goal. I’m going to meet it.

No offense or anything, but when your personal goals result in the potential for bodily harm, I think it's time to reassess. Goal setting is only useful if they are realistic. You should not be basing decisions that impact your health and expectations off of a TV show. Most doctors don't know a lick about nutrition unless they have been trained specifically in that field. 1200 calories a day is not okay. You need fuel for your muscles which are already working harder because of the extra weight.

I don’t think it’s going to hurt me to lose all the weight I need to lose in 3 years. That’s a reasonable goal.
  • davani09
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »

Because it's a TV show and dramatic changes = better ratings = more $$$$. Remember that stupid "Biggest Loser" show? Nothing portrayed there was even remotely healthy, but people did it so they could lose weight fast (regardless of health or safety) and network makes more money

DUDE. You lost 27 pounds in TWO MONTHS. Slow down. You will get there. You are doing great so far. Feel free to add me if you want a buddy on here.

Agree with above, although I can tell that you're going to do what you want to do no matter what anybody says. Most doctors don't know a lot about dieting so you can't always go by a doctor's o.k.

Good luck to you. If you keep your focus and commitment, you will lose the fat. When the 1200 per day gets too hard to manage, remember that you can eat more and still lose the weight.

Oh I know. I’m going to increase it back up when I start working out again thanks
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    It's embarrassing but you're on your path to getting healthy. Just remember that. The time it takes to lose the weight, while it seems intimidating to think about, is really a drop in the bucket of your life.
    Don't let those low moments keep you down. Don't let those moments get you eating bad again. What will you regret more... sticking to your diet and losing more weight or gaining what you've lost and still being miserable but eating the junk again??

27lbs in 2 months is AMAZING. You probably should be eating more than 1200 TBH though, but if your doctor is really ok with it and YOU feel ok then keep going.
    But you're doing it. You're getting healthy. It sucks that the chair broke, but use the moment to keep the motivation up. It happened, move on and be more determined to get to your goals in a healthy manner.