Most reliable, accurate HRM.

Options
Rocketts81
Rocketts81 Posts: 13 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Any suggestions for one that won't bankrupt me. Sick and tired of my Polar FT4, which despite fresh batteries, packed in on mile six of my route yesterday and lost all data! Also research states they over calculate calories burned up to 12%. Routinely I subtract 10% in the hope of a more accurate result... the FT4 is about £70 - any ideas for a better option?

regards, David

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Accurate for heart beats normally means a chest strap but other methods are improving all the time.

But heartbeats don't convert into calories, that "accuracy" is hugely affected by your activity (many activities are completely unsuitable for using HR as the basis of an estimate) and your personal exercise HR which is very variable.
    Also remember that the estimates tend to be gross calories not net calories which becomes quite significant for longer durations.

I used the FT7 which is a nicer watch (in a 1980's retro way...) than the FT4 but similar very limited functionality.
    When that broke upgraded to the FT60 which is far more modern and sophisticated and you can calibrate it to yourself quite successfully if you have an alternative more accurate way to estimate calories. But that also broke. I use a Garmin cycling specific computer these days.

First thing to consider is do you actually want to know your HR?
    If not and calories are the metric you really want then maybe use an app like Strava (not the MapMy suite of apps though as that seems to give wildly exaggerated numbers) or using a running calculator (making the assumption your "route" was a run)?

The DCRainmaker site has comprehensive review of HRMs and other tech.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rocketts81 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for one that won't bankrupt me. Sick and tired of my Polar FT4, which despite fresh batteries, packed in on mile six of my route yesterday and lost all data! Also research states they over calculate calories burned up to 12%. Routinely I subtract 10% in the hope of a more accurate result... the FT4 is about £70 - any ideas for a better option?

regards, David

Garmin
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rocketts81 wrote: »

regards, David

Accurate for what? Accurate in measurement, to be honest there's not much in it. Accurate in extrapolating other data? Depends what you want to extrapolate and what activities you do.
  • Rocketts81
    Rocketts81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying. I like to have a general idea on how many calories I burn, so I can adjust my diet accordingly. I also like my HR to stay under 140 when exercising. I'm now in my mid-50's and have no desire to end up like Rick Mayall did (massive cardiac event after a run). The Garmin HRM's seem pretty popular, if a bit pricey. However if they are accurate and reliable, and data is up-loadable, it may be worth the investment... thanks again to all who replied.