Losing weight and then eating rubbish!

Options
I have a problem which I need help with, if you can help?
When I lose weigh, I find I start craving crisp! This was my problem to my weight gain, crisp, chips and pringles.
I get greedy when it comes to eating them, I carry on even when I am full and stop when I start feeling sick.
I managed to stop eating them for a month and lost a good amount of weight.
I then started eating crisp again and sure enough, the weight crept back on, not as much but enough.
Every time I lose weight, like now, lost 3 pounds, I have to have a packet of crisp which turns into about 4/5 packs :(
Any ideas to help with these cravings. Please don't say stop buying them, which is right, but any ideas to help with craving?
I have managed to lose 21 pounds over 5 months. Still need to lose another 7 pounds and don't want to keep sabotaging my good work.
Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I just don't buy chips because I AM THE SAME WAY. There's nothing like party food, especially chips and dip, for me. My plan is to really be successful for several months, then portion out chips into measured quantities (which is sad really, how many you get in a serving) with measured amounts of salsa for a week... then back to no chips. It's just a matter of knowing myself and choosing not to give myself that kind of access. Now we do keep Doritos and Cheetos, etc. in the house for the kids. I just make sure as I'm logging my food, I don't eat any of it. Seeing success on the scale over the course of a month is way better than a chip binge.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Crisps can be bought in 16g multipacks so not so bad to control.....its the wretched Pringles which are so moreish...could you try bagging a tub of your favourite Pringles into 16g servings?

You've obviously been doing well....congratulations on your weight loss to date. :)
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Coffee helps to curb my cravings.
    Or chewing gum.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Prelog your meals each day and include a serving of crisps. Look at it as your treat for the day! That’s what I do with ice cream. Something to look forward to. Right now it’s cookies for me, husband made some and they are so good! So I’m setting aside 250 cals for a cookie until they’re gone. Also, take the crisps out of the bag when you eat them so you know when you’re done.

I think you’ll find that it doesn’t satisfy you as much as it once did and you’ll start to use those saved calories for more satisfying things. At least, that’s what I’ve experienced before, you of course may be different!
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 277 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I just avoid foods that cause me to binge it's not worth it so I try not to buy it. I have kids so sometimes I treat them to the stuff I can't have but I true to buy small amounts so they eat them all before I let myself cave and eat them. If I slip up and over indulge I forgive myself and start a new day tomorrow.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    First, as you say, don't buy them. You may be able to add them back into your diet later but right now you can't moderate them. Then work on finding lower calorie foods which satisfy the same cravings. For example, I like sliced salted radishes when I'm craving chips, which I need to avoid because I am diabetic. Baked kale chips and seasoned nori are other low calorie crispy foods.

Then take a look at what your calories and macros are doing when you are craving - are your calories too low? Do you need to add more fats or carbs (found in chips) to recover from exercise?

Also, take a look at your lifestyle. If you eat them late at night when tired, consider just going to bed earlier instead of filling up on carbs attempting to boost your energy levels. If you eat them when bored, find something to do such as walking which doesn't allow you to eat at the same time.

In my experience, if you cut them out, eventually the craving will go away and you can work on adding them back in with moderation.