Help picking a Garmin. ANy input welcome

Options
Hey guys. I'm stuck trying to figure out which watch I should buy. I can't decide between the Garmin Forerunner735, Fore Runner 935, or the Garmin Instinct. I would mainly use the watch to track runs, pacing, and as an every day activity tracker. I'd also like to use to to track my weightlifting training sessions as well. Any advice, input, or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I boughta Garmin Forerunner 235 a few months ago and am very pleased with my purchase.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Those are some pretty highly featured devices (with correspondingly high price points). If you’ve got the money to burn, have at it. But your listed needs can be met with Garmin devices that cost less than half as much.

I have a Fenix 5s (the same guts as the 935 but in a different case). I am a runner (long distance-this is my primary sport). I also bike, swim, dabble in multi-sport, do quite a bit of hiking and exploring. When I have to be indoors-I begrudgingly lift weights, do circuit training, other strength-type stuff, use a rowing machine or air bike, etc.

My Garmin provides me with running performance metrics, tracks my PR’s, estimates VO2max, lactate threshold, FTP, how my training load is affecting me, my recovery status, etc. It also has a pretty fantastic battery life so I can GPS track a day of hiking and it doesn’t die.

It is an enthusiastic about weight lifting as I am (meaning-not much). It will track that I did the workout and attempt to guess what I’m doing and how many reps-but even after finagling all that (and adding the weights) to be correct in Garmin Connect-it doesn’t do anything with it. Am I squatting more than I was 6 months ago? Who knows?

I use alternate systems for tracking my lifting results.

If you are looking for something to track your pace running and function as an activity tracker-the 735/935 will definitely do that. They will also give you the option of tracking your lifting (albeit not very usefully). But you’ll also be paying for a zillion features you may not need, want or use. But again-if you’ve got the cash to burn, you’ll be getting a fantastic device.

I don’t know anything about the Instinct though.

I also second dcrainmaker as the best place for reviews on these things.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you would do fine with a much less expensive watch. I use the Forerunner 35. It does everything I need, though it lacks some of the bells and whistles of the more expensive watches.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    +1 for dcrainmaker and Fenix 5s Plus. There doesn’t seem to be any activity you can’t track.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Instinct doesn't really have the "all day" look, in my opinion. It wasn't available yet when I got my Fenix ... but I'm glad I got a Fenix.
  • IThinkICan_Dejay
    IThinkICan_Dejay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I currently run with my phone. I have a Fitbit Charge that is horrible unreliable.

I’ve been looking at the Garmins for a while and have decided I really want the instinct. I’m waiting to find one on sale. My opinion it looks great and it’s the only one with altimeter and temperature. Not critical but cool information when hiking/backpacking. If I was only going to wear it when running I’d buy a Forerunner 35 and save $100 plus.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, all Garmins that have an altimeter have a thermometer too. The formula that predicts elevation from barometric pressure needs the temperature of the air it's measuring.

Also keep in mind for hiking/backpacking use that it will be so heavily influenced by your body temp. If you want to know how cold it gets in your tent, either take the watch off, or buy a Tempe. They're $30, weigh a few grams, and broadcast ANT+. You can put it wherever makes sense and leave the watch on your wrist.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    FR 230 or Vivoactive 3. Sounds like anything more would be a waste of features. VA3 actually has some weight training features.

No reason to get a 735 or 935 unless you are going to do some triathlons
  • Nomotivationalldiscipline
    Options
    Thanks for the all the input guys. I do plan on doing some Tri's though not in the immediate future. I'm rough on an every day watch which is why I was considering the Instinct. I'll give all of you alls reccomendations a look. Thanks again.