MapMyFitness calories

Options
Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and a repetitive question, but I only ask as it just seems completely mad to me.

I went on a bike ride earlier, first time for a couple of years (yay me). I went along an old railway line which is now basically just a muddy path (exceptionally so today - lots of rain the day before). The terrain is relatively flat (there is an incline but it’s slight). Once I got to the halfway point I decided to download MapMyFitness purely to track the distance really, however at the end the calories burned number jumped out at me with a whooping total of 1.1k (with only half the ride tracked, so 2.2k corrected).
I just can’t see how that’s possible?
I was estimating/allowing for about 500 kcals to eat back which I think I’ll stick to, but I was wondering what’s the deal? Is it legit, 20/40/50% off?

Few more details, I weigh about 17 st 8 lbs and the ride lasted 4 hours with about 30/45 minutes breaks spread through.jn63rd60q44b.png

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's not a lot for two hours of cycling but with such a small distance covered at a low speed I'm very, very sceptical.

Suggest you try Strava as the market leader in cycling apps.
  • FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The speed will be slightly reduced due to stopping here and there. But I’ll look into that app
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The "mountain" biking has the highest MET value for any bicycling activity.
    The bicycle I have was marketed, in 1980, as a "Mountain bike". All I see is that the wheels are a little wider and it has 18 speeds. Around here, I have no mountains, and don't even ride off road. When I do go for a ride, it is not for pleasure, but for work. I do the whole distance in 18th gear, only dropping to 13th to launch from a stop. It is a brutal workout and I proudly log it as "mountain biking".