Unhealthy snacking

Options
2»

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I’ve found once I start it’s hard to stop. I’m trying to have “breakfast” closer to lunch time... and lunch more in the middle of the afternoon. I always have a satisfying dinner and have a cup of coffee after with a fiber one brownie. I’m not eating heavily for breakfast and lunch, and I sip on an ice coffee from lunch time on. I need a schedule and I always sit down and eat so it feels like a true meal. Good luck!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    lbride wrote: »
    I don't know how people do it when they're home all day. I'm on yet another snow day at home and just ate 3 pieces of pizza, half a sald, some chicken and banana oatmeal chocolate chip bars

How I get through the day at home was 2/7 of the problem when I started. 5/7 of the problem was getting through the day at work with free candy and snacks. You just have to learn your solution.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people do it when they're home all day. I'm on yet another snow day at home and just ate 3 pieces of pizza, half a sald, some chicken and banana oatmeal chocolate chip bars
    Hmmm, I don't keep pizza and chocolate chip bars in the house. My desk is literally one foot from the frig and pantry and I still lost 150 lbs.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Hmmm, I don't keep pizza and chocolate chip bars in the house. My desk is literally one foot from the frig and pantry and I still lost 150 lbs.

i work from home and dont have an issue. 120 pounds down and going ...
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I found that a lot of kids' snacks left a gross aftertaste in my mouth. And even though they taste good on my tongue, they don't when the food is swallowed and it becomes not worth it. So I don't eat them even though I like them.

I've done a few tricks to manage the snacking. One is to buy snacks you just aren't going to eat. Don't like pretzels? Buy pretzels for the kids. Keep the other food in your pantry as ingredients or foods that take work to be eaten (i.e. have to be baked, cooked, added to another mix). If you must keep the tempting snacks, tell yourself, "this isn't my food." Treat it like a roommate situation - that food belongs to someone else and I can't take it.

I had to come to terms with my snacking as well. It was the main thing holding me back. It helped that I moved away from a job where chips and cookies were available 24/7. But I still got hungry at 3 pm. So I kept low-cal snacks around like berries, string cheese, boiled egg, low-sugar yogurt, oranges, cucumbers. Sometimes tea or coffee works too.

I also had to accept that sometimes I was going to have the salty, greasy chips because that's just what I wanted, darnit. So I put an acceptable portion in my hand, weighed it, and ate it. And told myself NO when I wanted more. That I was actually satisfied in my tummy; it was just my tongue playing tricks on me.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this will help, but when I was living in Alaska with two little kids about the same ages as yours, I decided that I needed structure to my days or I was going to go bonkers. Each day had a specific theme.
    M: Library Day (there was something like a 30 book limit, so we took a huge bag, and at home, there was a designated basket where the books "lived" so that they didn't get misplaced
    T: Craft Day (whatever- maybe something with an end product like tye-dye in summer, maybe just gluing things on paper or cardboard to make a collage)
    W: Cooking Club (learning to bake bread with yeast, or fast and easy muffins, or actually prepping dinner so that it went faster in the afternoon)
    Th: our local play group got together (we met at a McD's in winter while the kids played)
    F: Coffee & Cocoa (my one and only treat-local coffee house where I got a cup of regular coffee, the kiddo got cocoa, we took coloring books for her, and I read the paper)

Without this, I would just sort of wander through my days at home. Once there was structure, I had to fit other things in around these mornings (laundry, picking up, vacuuming, whatever). It eliminated the non-hunger signals. Now, I just replace the snacks that I'll eat mindlessly while adding in hundreds of extra calories with things that will fill me up, or are OK to eat mindlessly (baby carrots).

Good luck! :heart:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I work from home. When I get sufficient protein, regular exercise, and good sleep, I have no urge to snack.

@tburgardt - what's your goal weight and how many grams of protein are you eating per day?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,068 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    i had to just stop eating some things across the board. like no more chips... because portioning out a single serving is too hard. i like to measure half a serving of pretzels with two tablespoons humus... but it does disappear rather quickly! for my hands that want to snack, i get a mug and sip on hot water. constantly
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My best tip is pre-logging before you put anything in your mouth. I'd log what I planned to eat for my meals (adjusting before eating as the food was weighed), knowing what was left over was for snacks. Once I started doing this I could decide if the calories fit and whether they are worth it.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Not a big help here but just wanted to say I’m in the same boat!
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I work from home. When I get sufficient protein, regular exercise, and good sleep, I have no urge to snack.

@tburgardt - what's your goal weight and how many grams of protein are you eating per day?

My goal weight is 135. My last lady doctor said that was a good goal to have with my height and build. And I try to eat as much protein as I can but I'm not even eating half the amount as I should.
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    My best tip is pre-logging before you put anything in your mouth. I'd log what I planned to eat for my meals (adjusting before eating as the food was weighed), knowing what was left over was for snacks. Once I started doing this I could decide if the calories fit and whether they are worth it.

I have noticed that pre-logging does help some. I just have to get into the habit of doing it.