Mental shift

Options
Mistraal1981
Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
I am about 20lbs overweight and carry most of that in my hips and thighs. I have strong legs and always joke that I'm built to squat.

I am wanting to balance out my bottom heavy physique by focusing on building my back, lats and shoulders. (I think Erin Stern has an ideal figure). I am struggling with the mental shift of having to eat more to build muscle, especially since I have weight to lose.

If you have gone through this and come out the other side, would love to hear from you.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am about 20lbs overweight and carry most of that in my hips and thighs. I have strong legs and always joke that I'm built to squat.

I am wanting to balance out my bottom heavy physique by focusing on building my back, lats and shoulders. (I think Erin Stern has an ideal figure). I am struggling with the mental shift of having to eat more to build muscle, especially since I have weight to lose.

If you have gone through this and come out the other side, would love to hear from you.

If you still have more to lose, I would focus on that while following a well structured lifting routine... Particularly, one that has a bit more upper body focus.

If you are still relatively new to lifting, than you have a much greater opportunity to gain some muscle as you lose fat. And at the very least, you will see more body improvements.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Appreciated. 👍